52°

Lake Country Weather

  • Log-in Edit profile
  • Register Logout

Advertisement

Lighting causes fire in Sussex

 Village of Sussex - No one was injured in a house fire that was apparently caused this afternoon by lighting but was quickly quelled by area fire fighters.

A college age daughter of the Tarry Paul Zielinski family at W 241 N 7531 N. Woodsview told neighbors and fire fighters that she was in the basement of  the home when she heard a loud crack upstairs.

She said the lights in the house went very bright and then went dark, according to neighbor Gary Seibak. Seibak said he called 911 when he noticed smoke coming from the house while he was driving by at about 2:15 this afternoon

The daughter said she saw smoke in the house as she rounded up the family pets and escaped from the fire, according to Village of Sussex Deputy Fire Chief Tony Emanuele.

Emanuele said fire fighters from the Village of Sussex, the Town of Lisbon and the Village of Merton responded immediately to the call and were able to contain the fire to the roof and second floor living quarters of the home.

Fire fighters from Lannon, Menomonee Falls, Lake Country Fire and Rescue and Hartland were called in later to assit.

Emanuele described the cause of the fire as "weather related."

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Page Tools