Kettle Moraine Municipal Chili Cookoff tasted good while doing good
The community got to put their taste buds to the test last weekend during the fourth annual Municipal Chili Cookoff. During the 2 ½-hour fundraising event, 4 1/2 barrels of food and $425 was collected for local food pantries.
Entries were eligible to win based on the judges' rankings and the people's choice votes. The judges gave the award for the best mild chili to Dee Dee Bushey, deputy clerk for the Town of Genesee, the best hot chili to Erik Wigderson, a spouse of the Village of Wales deputy clerk/treasurer, the best veggie chili to Pauline Wigderson, deputy clerk/treasurer for the Village of Wales and the best white and wild game (venison) chilies to Sal Tamez, Village of North Prairie police chief.
Three winners per category were declared for the people's choice awards. In the mild category, Kim Carney from the Wales Genesee Fire Department won first place, Pat Shorr of the North Prairie Fire Department got second and Dee Dee Bushey took third.
In the hot category, Allen Reck, maintenance supervisor for Wales took first place, Steve Braatz, Village of Mukwonago clerk, took second and Erik Wigderson left with third place. For the veggie category, Pauline Wigderson came in first place while Kathy Baker from the North Prairie Fire Department stole second and Deb Michael, clerk/treasurer for the Village of Summit placed third.
In the white chili category, Joan Smart of the North Prairie Fire Department went home with a first-place award, Risa Kuhlman, Wales trustee, took second, and Carol McCaffery with the Kettle Moraine School District went home with third.
Sal Tamez won a second award with his venison chili, which took first place in the wild game category. Paul Johnson, park commission chairman for Wales, took second with his venison chili, and Pauline Widgerson won third with her bison chili. Pauline Widgerson also won the title of best chili overall with her vegetarian recipe.
Wales received the most votes overall of any of the municipalities, and was named the 2012 Community Winner.
- Ottawa's April Plan Commission meeting cancelled
- In brief: book sale, waterpark passes
- Golden Anchor liquor license delayed by town of Delafield board
- Engineering education deepens with flexible schedule for Kettle Moraine students
- WisDOT will hold public Highway 67 meeting on March 26 at Kettle Moraine Middle School
- Highway 83 construction to begin this week
- Kettle Moraine High School Drama Club brings Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night' to stage
- Mediocre storyline, lackluster characters infiltrate 'Insurgent'
- Old Delafield town hall likely to be repurposed for storage space
- Voters to decide between incumbent or challenger for village of Dousman president