Kettle Moraine Municipal Chili Cookoff tasted good while doing good
The community got to put their taste buds to the test last weekend during the fourth annual Municipal Chili Cookoff. During the 2 ½-hour fundraising event, 4 1/2 barrels of food and $425 was collected for local food pantries.
Entries were eligible to win based on the judges' rankings and the people's choice votes. The judges gave the award for the best mild chili to Dee Dee Bushey, deputy clerk for the Town of Genesee, the best hot chili to Erik Wigderson, a spouse of the Village of Wales deputy clerk/treasurer, the best veggie chili to Pauline Wigderson, deputy clerk/treasurer for the Village of Wales and the best white and wild game (venison) chilies to Sal Tamez, Village of North Prairie police chief.
Three winners per category were declared for the people's choice awards. In the mild category, Kim Carney from the Wales Genesee Fire Department won first place, Pat Shorr of the North Prairie Fire Department got second and Dee Dee Bushey took third.
In the hot category, Allen Reck, maintenance supervisor for Wales took first place, Steve Braatz, Village of Mukwonago clerk, took second and Erik Wigderson left with third place. For the veggie category, Pauline Wigderson came in first place while Kathy Baker from the North Prairie Fire Department stole second and Deb Michael, clerk/treasurer for the Village of Summit placed third.
In the white chili category, Joan Smart of the North Prairie Fire Department went home with a first-place award, Risa Kuhlman, Wales trustee, took second, and Carol McCaffery with the Kettle Moraine School District went home with third.
Sal Tamez won a second award with his venison chili, which took first place in the wild game category. Paul Johnson, park commission chairman for Wales, took second with his venison chili, and Pauline Widgerson won third with her bison chili. Pauline Widgerson also won the title of best chili overall with her vegetarian recipe.
Wales received the most votes overall of any of the municipalities, and was named the 2012 Community Winner.
- Village of Wales Gulf War veteran to march in Washington, D.C., Memorial Day parade
- Camping on learning through inquiry at Dousman's St. Bruno School
- In Brief, May 19, 2016: Trivia, veterans, Shorehaven and rare disorder
- Waukesha County panel approves funds for study examining regional fire department consolidation (1)
- North Prairie man dies after motorcycle/car crash in Mukwonago (2)
- Kettle Moraine High School senior receives National Merit Scholarship
- Alumni recognized as Kettle Moraine High School trailblazers
- Locals on this weekend's Honor Flight
- Beloit firm buys former Lang buildings
- Next phase of snow-making project at Lapham Peak Unit of Kettle Moraine State Forest underway