Dousman to bury Main Street power lines
Dousman Village Board unanimously voted to bury power lines underground in the upcoming Main Street project at its Feb 11. Board meeting. Faced with the original decision of reconfiguring or burying the utility lines in the downtown business district, the board decided that while burying the lines was more expensive, it was the right decision for the village.
The village plans to bury the lines while addressing sewer, water, and utility repairs and upgrades as needed in the area. The overall cost to bury the lines is approximately $630,000. Some of the cost will be offset by the reserve fund and other sources, however, residents will also see an increase to taxes.
According to Village President Jack Nissen, no numbers have been finalized but based on preliminary assessment a home valued at $250,000 may see a $112 to $160 tax increase per year - for about 20 years - for this project. That's also due to the $3.2 million price tag that comes with the entire Main Street project. Residents may also see a potential increase in utility costs once the construction is complete. The preliminary report is available to view at the Village Hall at anytime.
This decision regarding the power lines has also altered the timeline for construction to begin. Originally discussed as possibly spring of 2013, construction is now on hold for a more in-depth plan and design from We Energies. Because of their workload, that design will not be available until this fall.
The entire project is now slated to begin construction in spring of 2014 and will include the reconstruction of Main Street between Highway 18 and Ottawa Avenue. The project will repair and improve the existing road in addition to the repairs and upgrades to underground systems.
- Kettle Moraine High School's focus remains on literacy
- Three pillar residents craft for a cause
- Highway 18/83 intersection in Wales will close for roadwork next week
- Google Classroom rolls through Kettle Moraine schools
- Sidewalks, bridge railing will be installed along Highway 83 in Wales: Sidewalks, bridge railing up next
- Wales News: Oct. 16, 2014
- Dousman-Ottawa News: Oct. 16, 2014
- Kettle Moraine Index News: Oct. 16, 2014
- Delafield-Nashotah News: Oct. 16, 2014
- Kettle Moraine Chronicle News: Oct. 16, 2014