Your opportunity to meet the Wildlife In Need Center's (WINC) many animal ambassadors is coming up during the annual Groundhog Day celebration. WINC ambassador, Waldo the woodchuck, will again serve as the official prognosticator of spring for southeastern Wisconsin.
Will it be a short winter or will we have six more weeks to go? The groundhogs believe that only Waldo can tell.
Join Waldo and The Milwaukee Groundhog Club on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Waukesha Elks Lodge, 2301 Springdale Road, Waukesha for his official prediction. Kiehl said the event will begin at 10 a.m. as people gather outside to see Waldo's prediction. Then the crowd can head inside to visit with all WINC's animal ambassadors for the next couple of hours. Kiehl said there will be information for WINC, including the upcoming baby bird feeding classes, animals on hand and a table with activities for children.
The event is free, but they're expecting a crowd since the event this year is on a Saturday.
The celebration of Groundhog Day arose from a variety of traditions, including some religious, seasonal and mostimportantly, observational. Groundhog Day is held annually on Feb. 2 which also happens to be the midpoint between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. The observance of this day gives those of us in cooler climates an excuse to celebrate, breaking up the monotony that leads to spring fever.
The Milwaukee Groundhog Club began in 1908 with a chance meeting of two men whose birthdays were Feb. 2. They decided to meet at the Blatz Hotel along with several others who were discovered to be "groundhogs," and the rest is history.
- In Brief: Town of Genesee officials review zoning code
- Students devour the wonderment of fall
- Intersection of Highway 83 and 18 in Wales set for full closure Oct. 24-27
- Kettle Moraine High School's focus remains on literacy
- Three pillar residents craft for a cause
- Highway 18/83 intersection in Wales will close for roadwork this week
- Google Classroom rolls through Kettle Moraine schools
- Sidewalks, bridge railing will be installed along Highway 83 in Wales: Sidewalks, bridge railing up next
- Wales News: Oct. 16, 2014
- Dousman-Ottawa News: Oct. 16, 2014