Your opportunity to meet the Wildlife In Need Center's (WINC) many animal ambassadors is coming up during the annual Groundhog Day celebration. WINC ambassador, Waldo the woodchuck, will again serve as the official prognosticator of spring for southeastern Wisconsin.
Will it be a short winter or will we have six more weeks to go? The groundhogs believe that only Waldo can tell.
Join Waldo and The Milwaukee Groundhog Club on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Waukesha Elks Lodge, 2301 Springdale Road, Waukesha for his official prediction. Kiehl said the event will begin at 10 a.m. as people gather outside to see Waldo's prediction. Then the crowd can head inside to visit with all WINC's animal ambassadors for the next couple of hours. Kiehl said there will be information for WINC, including the upcoming baby bird feeding classes, animals on hand and a table with activities for children.
The event is free, but they're expecting a crowd since the event this year is on a Saturday.
The celebration of Groundhog Day arose from a variety of traditions, including some religious, seasonal and mostimportantly, observational. Groundhog Day is held annually on Feb. 2 which also happens to be the midpoint between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. The observance of this day gives those of us in cooler climates an excuse to celebrate, breaking up the monotony that leads to spring fever.
The Milwaukee Groundhog Club began in 1908 with a chance meeting of two men whose birthdays were Feb. 2. They decided to meet at the Blatz Hotel along with several others who were discovered to be "groundhogs," and the rest is history.
- Dousman Derby Days begins this weekend
- Doering Open supports AngelsGrace Hospice and ProHealth cancer services
- Video: Kettle Moraine students fly high with 'Mary Poppins'
- Summit moves ahead on land buy
- Mulvey, Dahl take to stage for SummerStage show
- Delafield praises life savers
- Gutschenritter ends his Assembly race
- Delafield reviewing planner options
- North Prairie looking for recommendations for civic award
- Reel World: 'The Secret Life of Pets' July 13, 2016