Your opportunity to meet the Wildlife In Need Center's (WINC) many animal ambassadors is coming up during the annual Groundhog Day celebration. WINC ambassador, Waldo the woodchuck, will again serve as the official prognosticator of spring for southeastern Wisconsin.
Will it be a short winter or will we have six more weeks to go? The groundhogs believe that only Waldo can tell.
Join Waldo and The Milwaukee Groundhog Club on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Waukesha Elks Lodge, 2301 Springdale Road, Waukesha for his official prediction. Kiehl said the event will begin at 10 a.m. as people gather outside to see Waldo's prediction. Then the crowd can head inside to visit with all WINC's animal ambassadors for the next couple of hours. Kiehl said there will be information for WINC, including the upcoming baby bird feeding classes, animals on hand and a table with activities for children.
The event is free, but they're expecting a crowd since the event this year is on a Saturday.
The celebration of Groundhog Day arose from a variety of traditions, including some religious, seasonal and mostimportantly, observational. Groundhog Day is held annually on Feb. 2 which also happens to be the midpoint between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. The observance of this day gives those of us in cooler climates an excuse to celebrate, breaking up the monotony that leads to spring fever.
The Milwaukee Groundhog Club began in 1908 with a chance meeting of two men whose birthdays were Feb. 2. They decided to meet at the Blatz Hotel along with several others who were discovered to be "groundhogs," and the rest is history.
- Kettle Moraine High School senior among 12 state semifinalists for Presidential Scholar
- MBA spring tour open through May 1
- Super writers named in our superhero writing contest
- First year of 3K successful at St. Paul School in Genesee
- Genesee church rummage to benefit Family Promise of Western Waukesha County
- Jason Alexander to teach at Ten Chimneys this summer
- Supersealers Asphalt brings business, jobs to Genesee
- Watch out for road closures on Highway 83 in Wales
- Reel World: Reel World: 'Elvis and Nixon' has a story without a purpose
- WILEORC helps law enforcement officers injured or disabled in the line of duty