KM Global director, Valerie Schmitz, takes spot with DPI
Michele Koper appointed as new director
After three years with the Kettle Moraine School District, KM Global Director Valerie Schmitz leaves the district at the end of the month to take a position with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, where she will serve as a school administration consultant, working with charter schools statewide.
"No doubt this decision was incredibly difficult given the amazing work of KM," Schmitz said in her letter of resignation. "The brilliant young minds at KM Global, passionate and creative staff, and wise guidance of our governance council, district administration and board of education have made my time at KM incredibly enjoyable both professionally and personally."
Schmitz joined the district just as the charter school was taking off. She provided essential design, development and leadership for KM Global, helping to establish the foundation of the school and point it in the direction of being a premier high school for global leadership and innovation, according to a news release from KMSD.
Superintendent Pat Deklotz announced the appointment of KM Global's Michele Koper to the role of director of KM Global effective Jan. 28, which was endorsed by KM Global's governance council and approved by School Board on Jan. 15.
Koper has been with the district since 2006, when she taught social studies at Kettle Moraine High School, until taking the full-time position of social studies teacher/school coordinator with KM Global in 2001. As one of the founding governance members, Koper has been involved in the charter planning since the charter school's beginning in fall 2010.
Additionally, Koper brings several years of experience in teaching in an online and blended format and has gone through extensive professional development and training in online/blended learning, project-based learning, interdisciplinary curriculum development and global studies.
Koper also created and implemented a successful Advanced Placement human geography course at KMHS and blended Advanced Placement social studies courses for KM Global.
"I plan to continue forging relationships with the community in order to promote more opportunities for community engagement and hands on learning. In this way, KM Global will develop and grow with each cohort of students, all the while continuing to provide an environment in which they can thrive as critical thinkers, active world citizens, and effective leaders," said Koper.
- Village of Summit residents will have small uptick in taxes
- Fire department changes mean lower budget in North Prairie, but levy will increase because of drop in assessed value
- Police release victim's name in fatal village of Summit crash
- Kettle Moraine School District enjoys lower tax rate for 14-15: Kettle Moraine district enjoys lower tax rate for 14-15
- Andrew Lemke of Dousman killed in car wreck
- Preps Alcove: With season on line, coaches going for it all
- Kettle Moraine school board member relocates, opens spot for interim member
- Kettle Moraine School District earns three awards for communication
- Town of Ottawa expected to adopt 2015 budget
- 'Big Hero 6' beautiful, fun, but ending lacks Disney magic