Science comes alive in second grade
Second-graders learn about world of bugs
Second-grade students at Magee Elementary are learning about the world of insects. Firsthand experiences with live mealworms, waxworms, painted lady butterflies, and milkweed bugs provide powerful learning experiences that allow students to construct a deeper understanding of the natural world around them.
Students are introduced to insects in a nonbiased environment through insect modules.
These modules engage students in scientific inquiry. Insects are readily accessible to all students to handle.
Each investigation allows students to observe structures and behaviors, discuss findings and ask questions. Students observe life cycles of insects to build explanations about the similarities and differences in the insect world.
Two types of assessment are used in the insect modules: formative and summative.
Formative assessments are embedded in the investigations to provide diagnostic information to make decisions about instruction for individual students and for the class. Formative assessments include teacher observation, anecdotal notes, student interviews, student journals and student sheets.
Summative assessment includes an end-of-module assessment and portfolio checklist. These tools provide evidence about student learning and are used for more evaluative purposes.
Through the observation of each life cycle stage, students remain engaged, challenged, and excited. In addition, collaboration among teams provides skills for college and career readiness.
- Rain delays Highway 83 construction
- In brief: national teacher certification, scholarships, more
- In brief: blood drive, DryHootch program
- In brief: annual town meeting in Delafield, boat launch grant
- In brief: "Sound of Music"
- In brief: Extrication team
- In brief: Church welcomes new pastor
- Former Mafia prince Michael Franzese to visit RiverGlen Church in Genesee
- Two new pols wins; Edward Kranick, Ron Troy elected to town board
- Incumbents win trustee seats in North Prairie