Kettle Moraine students create partnerships through German exchange
This summer, Kettle Moraine High School German teacher Erika Chow accompanied 18 students through Germany as part of the German American Partnership Program. KM students were reunited with German exchange students who were students and guests of Kettle Moraine last year.
During the first two weeks in Germany students lived with host families, coming together during the third week to study and travel as a group through Ulm, Munich, Salzburg and Berlin.
The culture and history found in the ruins of the 13C Burg Rheinfels castle provided fascinating underground tunnels for exploration, a tour of the Dachau concentration camp of WWII brought history into focus, remnants from the Berlin Wall on display in Berlin brought great reflection, and King Ludwig II's home in Neuchwanstein inspired imagination.
Students were impressed by the public viewing venues that housed large screens. These unifying spaces attracted German enthusiasts as they cheered on their national soccer team during the 2012 Euro Cup. KM students were able to join with German peers in Olympic Park in Munich as Germany played Italy. It was an experience KM students will not soon forget.
The stories and experiences were great, but common to all were the memories of friendship and family.
"We were struck by the closeness of multiple generations of family that remain close, many living in the same home. We were impressed by the multi-lingual homes and the common appreciation of the English language in German schools," shared Chow.
"We returned home with a keen awareness of our place in the global world and motivated to grow this partnership for learning with our German classmates," added Chow.
- Kettle Moraine High School senior among 12 state semifinalists for Presidential Scholar
- MBA spring tour open through May 1
- Super writers named in our superhero writing contest
- First year of 3K successful at St. Paul School in Genesee
- Genesee church rummage to benefit Family Promise of Western Waukesha County
- Jason Alexander to teach at Ten Chimneys this summer
- Supersealers Asphalt brings business, jobs to Genesee
- Watch out for road closures on Highway 83 in Wales
- Reel World: Reel World: 'Elvis and Nixon' has a story without a purpose
- WILEORC helps law enforcement officers injured or disabled in the line of duty