Tchaikovsky's 'Nutcracker' comes alive at KM
Fourth-graders exposed to ballet with performance
Kettle Moraine School District fourth-graders gained an appreciation for music as Main Stage Academy of Dance performed scenes from "The Nutcracker" at Kettle Moraine High School on Nov. 29.
To facilitate a deeper understanding of specific works such as Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker," KM music educator Mary Anne Zupan collaborated with Main Stage Academy of Dance and Artistic Director Eddy Bray, bringing theory to life as Main Stage presented learning on stage by integrating music and dance during an educational presentation to district fourth-graders.
Developing an appreciation for music is part of the K-5 Music Listening Curriculum at KMSD and provides an opportunity for young students to learn and pursue interests in the performing arts. Through common listening assessments and the academy student dance demonstration, fourth-graders focused on the integration of music and ballet, illustrating how Tchaikovsky's musical influence shaped the development of "The Nutcracker" as a theatrical work.
Thirty-two Kettle Moraine students will dance in "The Nutcracker" through Main Stage Academy of Dance from Dec. 14-16 at the Oconomowoc Performing Arts Center.
KMHS dancers include Elise Sloey, Emma Kefer, Maddie Gruenke, Thora Lang-Kastner, Sam Booth, Clayton Crotteau, Theresa Kimball, and McKayla Spanton. Kettle Moraine Middle School dancers include Abi Gruenke, Rachel Spanton, Brittany Maerker, Alex Meeth, Lizzy Janikowski, Angie Kimball. Taylor Meeth, Christina Kimball, Mikayla Laue, Elle Parsons, and Claire Martin. Dousman Elementary dancers are Grace Fisher, Emily Pakula, Isabella Martin, Ashley Grossklaus, Grace Garity, Emma Johnson, and Abigail Parker. Cushing Elementary dancers are Maddie Crucius, Nikkita Parsons and Ella Martin. Autumn Krueger is from Magee Elementary, and Madison and Katie Maerker are from Wales Elementary.
- Romanowski appointed to Kettle Moraine School Board
- Push to simplify recycling hits Waukesha County
- Event organizers: Christmas in Wales about community
- Final road update for 2014
- Dousman Elementary recognized at Packers game
- Cold slows Wales road work
- City of Delafield debates up-the-drive waste service
- Kettle Moraine senior's Eagle Scout project links Waukesha nonprofit, landlord
- Eagle Lions collecting for troops on Pearl Harbor weekend
- Wildlife in Need Center holds open house