Village of Wales signs off on Highway 83 plans
Village of Wales - Village residents are a step closer to seeing the long-awaited Highway 83 road expansion project begin.
Village President Jeff Flaws was authorized by the Village Board to sign the agreement for the municipality's share of the costs, estimated to be approximately $250,000.
"In effect, what we have done is signed and submitted the paperwork to formalize our participation in the project," Flaws said.
The project will run from Perkins Road in the Town of Genesee, north of Highway 18, to Glacier Pass Road and through the village.
"We will have a four-lane road where there is now a two-lane road," he explained.
Growth and increased traffic has necessitated the project, Flaws pointed out.
"At the last traffic count for volume on Highway 18 had us accommodating 17,000 on a road that is expected to handle 13,000 a day," he said.
Under the plan for the road expansion, the majority of the village will be divided by median strips and drivers will be able to pull halfway out and wait for traffic to clear, reducing the long wait period that now exists for a break in traffic.
The village president noted that there will be roundabouts in the north and south end of the village, a 10-foot-wide multipurpose path on the west side of Highway 83 running the full length of the village and sidewalks on the north side of Highway 18.
The timeline for the plan has not been finalized at this time, Flaws said.
"Theoretically, if the funding is still there, in 2014. It should be completed in one year," he said.
- Kettle Moraine High School senior among 12 state semifinalists for Presidential Scholar
- MBA spring tour open through May 1
- Super writers named in our superhero writing contest
- First year of 3K successful at St. Paul School in Genesee
- Genesee church rummage to benefit Family Promise of Western Waukesha County
- Jason Alexander to teach at Ten Chimneys this summer
- Supersealers Asphalt brings business, jobs to Genesee
- Watch out for road closures on Highway 83 in Wales
- Reel World: Reel World: 'Elvis and Nixon' has a story without a purpose
- WILEORC helps law enforcement officers injured or disabled in the line of duty