Blankets comfort kids at Children's Hospital
Favor returned to Stone Bank girl
Sometimes karma repays nice people for doing good deeds. Just ask Stone Bank fourth-grader Caroline McShane.
When she ended up at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin with an emergency appendectomy, she found a hand-crafted blanket made just for her from a local charitable organization.
In an uncanny coincidence, earlier that evening, Caroline and other members of the Stone Bank Student Council had been crafting blankets to send to Children's Hospital as well. It seemed fitting that Caroline would benefit from the same good deed that she and her classmates had thought to do for others just hours before.
"I love my blanket, and I'm blessed to have such a nice blanket, and I'm blessed to have such a nice school," Caroline wrote in the school's newsletter, Reaching Out.
Student council adviser Sharon Wilson said the school made more than 20 blankets out of polar fleece this year, all of which the school sent to Children's Hospital.
"Children's Hospital has been a recipient because they're very gracious. They have a lot of clientele," Wilson said. "The blankets go home with the people who are in the hospital. It's been kind of a nice way to give back to the community. It's a nice service project because everyone can get involved."
The student council adviser said she, along with various school groups, have made blankets to give to local organizations for the last seven years. Some have gone to battered women's shelters, others to police departments and ambulances as well as hospitals.
Children's Hospital and other children like Caroline, appreciated the gesture.
"Please accept our sincere thanks for your kind donation," wrote Children's Hospital family services manager Eileen Clark in a letter to the school. "Hospital days are often long and may at times be somewhat scary."
- FAQs about Stone Bank School referendum
- Have questions about the North Lake School referendum? We have answers
- Interactive: Open enrollment swings funding more than $1 million for Oconomowoc, Kettle Moraine school districts
- In brief: Bell tower donor
- In brief: grand reopening for Realty Executives Integrity
- Anniversaries: Oct. 21, 2014
- Intersection of Highway 83 and 18 in Wales set for full closure Oct. 24-27
- History unfolds as Hawks Inn's quilts are added to national database
- Get your scare on at Fright Hike
- Election 2014: State Senate District 33 Voter's Guide