Students at Hartland North, St. Charles released after going on lockdown after a reported gunman
Police have not found anyone in nearby woods
After going on lockdown this afternoon after a gunman was seen near Hartland North Elementary, Village of Hartland Police Chief Robert Rosch said all the school children have been safely released.
Rosch confirmed that at about 2:40 p.m. Thursday two children at Hartland North Elementary saw a man with a rifle and heard a loud bang in the woods that is just north of the school.
Rosch said after returning to the school the students were visibly upset and reported it to the school.
After talking with the students, Rosch said the school as well as St. Charles and the adjacent daycare were put on lockdown.
“Our main concern was the safety of the kids,” Rosch said on locking down the schools.
Rosch said the police did two sweeps of the woods and did not find any suspects.
He said police will perform a third sweep before darkness settles in.
Rosch added that there was also a citizen report of a teenager who appeared visibly upset at a nearby park, so police extended their search. The chief isn’t sure if that is related to the alleged gunman.
After doing multiple sweeps and not finding anything, Rosch said “the neighborhood is safe and we got everything under control.”
- In brief: Town of Oconomowoc road projects, Neylon to meet with constituents, challenger for 5th Con
- Proposal would relax Delafield sign regulations (1)
- Video: Kettle Moraine students gain health research experience through partnership with Medical College of Wisconsin
- Pewaukee High School senior earns college table tennis scholarship
- Delafield zoning changes expected; new code to encourage high-end homes
- Town officials approve lifting speed limit on Okauchee Lake for June demo event
- Cobra helicopter in North Lake to be moved to get new paint job
- Pewaukee, Arrowhead school districts named to Top Workplaces list (1)
- In brief: Wake Up Call exhibit extended, preschool enrollment
- Complaint: Delafield man left friend to die of apparent heroin overdose (3)