Coat drive helps area needy stay warm
A coat drive organized by a few co-workers at Shorewest's Lake Country office is gaining good momentum, and the ladies say they're not stopping until Christmas.
Shorewest Lake Country agent Barbara Chudik said she and co-workers Dori Klokow and Kim Johnson were thinking of ways to help others this holiday season and came up with the idea for a coat drive.
"We all know the cold is on its way to stay. My husband and I have been taking items to Lake Country Caring for years," said Chudik. So she, Klokow and Johnson decided to visit Lake Country Caring to see how the facility is doing these days. "We left even more determined to make this a group effort to gather coats. I sent out an email and have been following up with phone calls to try and collect at least 100 by Christmas," said Chudik.
Klokow decided to make it her "birthday project" and has been using social media in an attempt to collect 50 coats for her 50th birthday, which was Dec. 8.
Johnson has been calling her neighbors and friends and asking for contributions.
Chudik said the outpouring of support would warm your heart. "I cannot even begin to tell you how generous everyone has been. We have well over 200 coats and numerous bags of other warm clothing already, and we are not stopping until Christmas.
"Two cars stuffed to the max have already been delivered, and we have another one ready to go," wrote an excited Chudik. She said now the entire Lake Country Shorewest office has joined the effort.
"The office jokingly calls me the community service person, but there are so many people who have nothing. And they are right here in our area," she said.
All of the items collected will be taken to Lake Country Caring, 603 Progress Drive, Hartland where they will be given away to clients. Lake Country Caring serves more than 2,000 families in the Lake Country area.
To donate, drop off coats or warm clothing at the facility from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday, or call (262) 367-6670 for more information.
- Lake Country businesses team up for Christmas in July
- In brief: Toy drive to benefit foster care program, Fill the Bus
- Lake Country celebrates National Night Out
- Town of Lisbon to get mobile app, new website
- Lisbon OKs purchase of Lied's property
- Positively Pewaukee marks 20 years
- Taste of Lake Country joined by Waterfront Art Fair this year
- Get to know your county clerk candidates (1)
- Lake Country police advise safety when playing Pokemon Go
- Repairs force lane closure on westbound Capitol Drive near Springdale Road