Delafield cops break up shoplifting ring
Complaint: Three women caught up in drug problem
A shoplifting ring, called the "Kia Crew" by loss prevention staff, was caught in Delafield on Oct. 17.
Three women reportedly tried to steal almost $500 worth of merchandise from Marshall's in Delafield and were caught by police during their escape. They were intercepted by loss prevention staff members who allegedly had previous run-ins with the group.
One of the women, a 24-year-old Milwaukee woman, has been charged with retail theft in connection with the case. Charges are also being considered against her in Milwaukee County.
Two of the women, ages 23 and 30, apparently fled in a vehicle, only to be stopped by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department near Redford Boulevard and I-94. The third woman, age 24, reportedly fled on foot through the Naga-Waukee shopping center and nearby wooded area.
During Sheriff's Department interviews, the two women who were apprehended allegedly told police about their heroin problems and how the third suspect taught them how to steal.
Police reports said that the three of them worked together to shoplift and ultimately make fraudulent returns for gift cards, which they would then sell to an acquaintance or check cashing places.
Police reports say that the third woman, age 24, turned herself in after a family member contacted Delafield police.
It is unclear exactly how much merchandise has been stolen by the ring in the past or how many stores were targeted. The matter is still under investigation. No charges have been issued.
- Lake Country Police Blotter 05/31/16
- I Want to Know: What are the Kiltie's hours of operation?
- North Lake commissioners delay decision on reducing fishing limits
- Legion plans stirs controversy
- Former Pewaukee administrator Tammy LaBorde a finalist for Grafton job
- Village of Pewaukee accepting applications for deputy clerk-treasurer position
- Man injured after being struck by car while walking along I-94 in Pewaukee
- Divine Redeemer Lutheran School team wins Knowledge Bowl
- Work underway on city of Pewaukee's new water tower
- In brief: Click It or Ticket