Delafield cops break up shoplifting ring
Complaint: Three women caught up in drug problem
A shoplifting ring, called the "Kia Crew" by loss prevention staff, was caught in Delafield on Oct. 17.
Three women reportedly tried to steal almost $500 worth of merchandise from Marshall's in Delafield and were caught by police during their escape. They were intercepted by loss prevention staff members who allegedly had previous run-ins with the group.
One of the women, a 24-year-old Milwaukee woman, has been charged with retail theft in connection with the case. Charges are also being considered against her in Milwaukee County.
Two of the women, ages 23 and 30, apparently fled in a vehicle, only to be stopped by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department near Redford Boulevard and I-94. The third woman, age 24, reportedly fled on foot through the Naga-Waukee shopping center and nearby wooded area.
During Sheriff's Department interviews, the two women who were apprehended allegedly told police about their heroin problems and how the third suspect taught them how to steal.
Police reports said that the three of them worked together to shoplift and ultimately make fraudulent returns for gift cards, which they would then sell to an acquaintance or check cashing places.
Police reports say that the third woman, age 24, turned herself in after a family member contacted Delafield police.
It is unclear exactly how much merchandise has been stolen by the ring in the past or how many stores were targeted. The matter is still under investigation. No charges have been issued.
- In brief: Spelling bee, school workshop, open house
- In brief: Local Peace Corps volunteer
- In brief: ULS blood drive
- Fundraising falls short for Arrowhead lacrosse/field hockey complex (1)
- Lake Country Fire and Rescue looks to be in better financial shape
- Saturday blood drive honors Jack Bartosz, Christopher Schraufnagel
- Hartland village board OK conceptual plat for new Four Winds West subdivision
- Hartland trustee votes against Riverwalk; board OKs site, building plans
- Bridge work will close Highway KE starting Feb. 4
- Stairway to Heroin III comes to Hartland