Grota out as Delafield city assessor
Magnan hired without city seeking bids
City of Delafield - For the fourth time in 15 years, the Common Council has changed city assessors, and this time it cost the taxpayers some money.
After a closed session Monday night, the Common Council approved a mutual termination agreement between the city and Grota Appraisals of Menomonee Falls.
The council agreed to pay Grota $9,300 to terminate the four-year contract, which was not scheduled to expire until Dec. 31, 2013.
"It is the intent of the parties that only positive experiences involving the contractual relationship between Grota and the city will be provided to any person making inquiry with either the city or Grota," according to the contract.
Mayor Ed McAleer provided an uncharacteristic "no comment" when asked why the city paid to terminate the contract a year early.
"We want to go in another direction," he added.
He said Magnan Assessment Service of Waukesha has been hired for one year at a fee of about $29,376.
City officials acknowledged they did not seek proposals from other assessing services before hiring Magnan.
"I don't recall ever seeking an RFP (request for proposal) for an assessor. Besides both myself and (City Clerk) Gina (Gresch) have had previous experiences with the Magnan that were positive," McAleer added.
Mike Grota could not be reached for comment and did not respond to a telephone message from Lake Country Publications.
Magnan served as the city assessor in the early to mid-1990s during McAleer's first tenure as mayor. Magnan was replaced in 1997 by National Appraisals of Milwaukee. National Appraisals were replaced in 2004 by Accurate Appraisals of Menasha during Mayor Paul Craig's administration.
Shortly after McAleer became mayor again, Grota replaced Accurate Appraisals.
McAleer said Grota was hired by the city because it submitted the lowest fee during a request for proposals process.
- In briefs: Collectors, hazardous waste, labor laws
- In brief: Bus trip, volleyball, St. John's
- Committee expected to nix idea of dog park in Lisbon
- Hartland police searching for robbery suspect
- In Briefs: Sheepshead, MS, Thiel
- Golden Mast public launch offers option with upcoming closure of Okauchee Lake boat launch
- The Golden Anchor is back again in Delafield (5)
- Arrowhead school board terminates lacrosse complex
- Bike paths dropped from Genesee Street plans in Delafield
- Cushing celebrations over Memorial Day weekend