Hart-Lake bumps up security
The Hartland-Lakeside District School Board on Jan. 28 approved the purchase of several new electronic devices to improve security at the district's schools.
The board approved the purchase of buzzer systems and video cameras to be placed at each of the main entrances for Hartland North and South elementaries and North Shore Middle School. The district office entrance door at Hartland North will also have a buzzer system and camera installed. The total cost for the new systems is estimated at $7,500.
The doors at Hartland North will be further secured, requiring staff members to swipe an electronic card to gain access after school hours and on weekends. The new door-access security systems are expected to cost an estimated $6,800. Hartland South Elementary already has such security measures in place.
The board was more hesitant about other measures and voted to table proposals for a new ID badge system, a check-in system for guests and volunteers, and more security cameras. The ID and check-in system, which would include new software, scanners, printing materials and a database system, would cost an estimated $14,000.
Board President Laura Johnson said she could see the value of such a system.
"There are cases where there are some individuals you want to keep an eye on," Johnson said. Superintendent Glenn Schilling said he was not as big a fan of the badge system, however. He argued that the most-effective measure would be strengthening policy and response.
A proposal to install shatter-resistant or bulletproof glass in school windows, at an estimated cost of $125 per square foot, was rejected by the board.
- Christian Education Leadership Academy celebrates construction progress in Pewaukee
- News Briefs: Indoor soccer facility
- Library hosts Victorian programs
- Cushing cousins will receive Medal of Honor
- Hearing held on Village Square apartments
- Pewaukee School District traffic a topic at village meeting
- New contract would mean an end to recyclable sorting in Hartland
- Review: Waukesha Civic Theatre hits high notes in 'Lend Me a Tenor'
- In Brief: Pewaukee Water Ski Club elects new officers
- Lake Country Now site now mobile