Village of Hartland - Village officials on Monday, Jan. 28, dedicated the Hartland Police Department's newly built garage in memory of Morton Hetznecker, who served as the village's police chief from 1973-2000.
Hetznecker, who passed away in 2010, joined the Hartland department as an officer in 1967. He was promoted to police sergeant in 1969 and took over as chief from then-chief Grant Hermaning on Oct. 8, 1973.
Hetznecker began his police career with the Milwaukee Police Department, but after visiting friends in Delafield, Hetznecker and his wife, Patty, decided to move to Lake Country. When Hetznecker was hired by Hartland, he was one of two officers, plus the chief, in the department, which at that time was housed in a 200-square-foot space in the old Village Hall.
During Hetznecker's tenure, Hartland's population grew from about 2,700 to more than 8,000, and the Police Department roster rose to 15 officers. The department currently has 16 officers.
"He took the department basically from two people to what we have today, and we wanted to recognize that," said current Police Chief Robert Rosch, who was hired by Hetznecker.
Hetznecker and his wife raised their four kids in Hartland and were active in community activities. "He loved the department, and Hartland, and his job," Patty Hetznecker said.
A plaque recognizing Hetznecker will be installed on the side of the garage facing Cottonwood Avenue. The new garage is just about complete; the department hopes to be using the new space by the end of this week, Rosch said.
- Merton Primary, Pewaukee Lake Elementary named Title I Schools of Recognition
- Multiple crashes on eastbound Hwy. 16 near Hartland (1)
- In brief: Egg hunt, parental choice.
- In brief: Irish music, community fest, art walk.
- Delafield selects city clerk finalist
- Delafield crash victim was a teacher at Kettle Moraine Preschool, active community volunteer
- In brief: Good Harvest
- In briefs: Balance workshop, snow ski.
- Pewaukee reportedly may part ways with City Administrator Tammy LaBorde (1)
- City of Delafield to ponder appeal of gun club ruling, former mayor says don't waste tax money