How you can help feed local hungry
How many of us have ever had to make a decision on whether to pay the rent or buy food?
On this Thanksgiving holiday, many of us will feast until we're full and spend a few moments counting our blessings.
But for a growing number of Lake Country residents, there will be hard choices to make this holiday season.
Yule Feed Families food drive, which relies on the generosity of the Lake Country community, is kicking off its 22nd season of helping provide for the families served by four local food pantries.
Since its inception in 1991, the drive has raised $421,112 and 42,760 groceries for the Hartland, Pewaukee, Kettle Moraine and North Lake food pantries. Last year, $95,510 was raised, shattering the previous record for donations to the drive co-sponsored by Lake Country Rotary and Lake Country Reporter.
But every year, the total starts at zero. Every year there are new mouths to feed, and food pantries are seeing unprecedented need. It's going to take a lot of giving to surpass last year's mark.
From now until 5 p.m. Dec. 20, Yule Feed Families will accept donations for the pantry to help. For every donation made, Rotary and the Reporter will each match 70 cents on the dollar or 40 cents for each grocery item. Each organization caps that giving at $2,000 in total.
To help, bring groceries or donations to the Reporter office, 810 Cardinal Lane, Suite 210, Hartland, WI, 53029. Checks should be made out to Lake Country Foundation, a tax-exempt partner of Lake Country Rotary, or the food pantry of your choice. (Please do not make out checks to Yule Feed Families or the Lake Country Reporter.)
Each week here we will keep you up-to-date on how the drive is going.
- Reel World: 'Unfriended' has too many glitches despite promise
- Lisbon exploring dog park options
- AHS robotics team heads to championship in St. Louis
- Springdale Road project has issues
- Pewaukee planners pave way for new development
- After 50 years of service, Hartland trustee still looking to give back
- Two injured, one seriously, in two-car head-on collision in Lisbon
- Former Bob Lang aide interested in buying Delafield Hotel
- Town of Delafield to hold open house on new town hall
- Lake Country death notices, April 16, 2015: Neff