Never tasted raccoon?
The 86th annual Tom McNulty Memorial Coon Feed is at 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at American Legion Post 196, 333 N. Lapham Peak Road, Delafield.
This annual tradition was started by McNulty and his hunting buddies to raise money for Delafield youth programs. Early on, McNulty and his friends ate what they caught themselves. Later they opened the dinner to the public to help raise funds for local youth baseball teams.
The last time McNulty went on a hunt was in 1985, when he was 88. He died May 5, 1991, a week after celebrating his 94th birthday. Since then the torch has passed to his wife, Lillian, who still attends the event.
With help from members and friends of the Delafield Legion Post, the food is still prepared using McNulty's closely guarded secret recipe. Additional help comes from St. John's Northwestern Military Academy, which opens its large kitchen facilities.
Suggested donation: adults $12, children $6; includes roasted raccoon meat, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, sauerkraut, coleslaw, bread, and coffee, milk or water. An alternate meat, (ham or turkey), is also available. Desserts will be provided by the Delafield Legion Ladies Auxiliary.
Raffles will also be held. Proceeds from the dinners go to Delafield American Legion Youth Programs. For more information, call event chairman Dick Reul, (262) 646-2252, or Delafield Legion Post 196, (262) 646-3930, or visit www.delafieldlegion.com.
- Hartland still owed $20,000 for chimney swift tower project; fundraising efforts continue
- Pewaukee police chief favors proposal to stiffen penalties for school shooting threats
- Arrowhead hires financial adviser, plans community survey on referendum idea
- Haass library wins court decision
- Kids get taste of snowmobile fun
- Local Piggly Wiggly Sausage King named 'master meat crafter'
- Concert to honor former AHS band director Gib Weigel
- 'Boxcar bridge' one of the designs proposed for Pewaukee's pedestrian bridge
- Merton Primary, Pewaukee Lake Elementary named Title I Schools of Recognition
- Multiple crashes on eastbound Hwy. 16 near Hartland (3)