Never tasted raccoon?
The 86th annual Tom McNulty Memorial Coon Feed is at 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at American Legion Post 196, 333 N. Lapham Peak Road, Delafield.
This annual tradition was started by McNulty and his hunting buddies to raise money for Delafield youth programs. Early on, McNulty and his friends ate what they caught themselves. Later they opened the dinner to the public to help raise funds for local youth baseball teams.
The last time McNulty went on a hunt was in 1985, when he was 88. He died May 5, 1991, a week after celebrating his 94th birthday. Since then the torch has passed to his wife, Lillian, who still attends the event.
With help from members and friends of the Delafield Legion Post, the food is still prepared using McNulty's closely guarded secret recipe. Additional help comes from St. John's Northwestern Military Academy, which opens its large kitchen facilities.
Suggested donation: adults $12, children $6; includes roasted raccoon meat, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, sauerkraut, coleslaw, bread, and coffee, milk or water. An alternate meat, (ham or turkey), is also available. Desserts will be provided by the Delafield Legion Ladies Auxiliary.
Raffles will also be held. Proceeds from the dinners go to Delafield American Legion Youth Programs. For more information, call event chairman Dick Reul, (262) 646-2252, or Delafield Legion Post 196, (262) 646-3930, or visit www.delafieldlegion.com.
- Delafield expect to use reserves to lower new tax levy
- Delafield garbage decision may be delayed
- Integrated Manufacturing Center at Waukesha County Technical College moves forward, despite missing fundraising goal
- Pewaukee High School students provide extra help during elections
- Soccer could move indoors in Hartland with village approval of Strike FC plan
- Pewaukee residents may drop off drugs daily, with installation of new dropoff box at village hall
- More propane should be available this winter
- In Brief: Council approves preliminary plans for memory care facility
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 99 Voter's Guide
- Help us honor veterans