New 7-Elevens bring Slurpees to Lake Country
Some Lake Country residents are likely to have an opportunity to experience the Slurpee, the signature frozen treat of the 7-Eleven convenience store chain, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Japanese-owned, Texas-based retail company has taken over 26 Open Pantry stores, nearly all of them in Wisconsin, including four in Lake Country.
The Lake Country locations include the City of Delafield, near I-94 and Highway 83; the Town of Brookfield on Capitol Drive; in Okauchee near Highways P and 16, and in Sussex at Highway 164 and Silver Spring Drive.
Eleri Baecker, a regional representative for the company, told the Village of Sussex Plan Commission last week that it is company policy to operate the stores 24 hours a day, seven days a week wherever permissible.
So far, no one has objected to the convenience store being operated around the clock in Sussex. However, the permits for the company have yet to be approved by the Plan Commission and Village Board.
Similar applications are also pending in the Towns of Brookfield and Oconomowoc.
The City of Delafield has an ordinance that prohibits business operations between 2 and 5 a.m.
According to the 7-Eleven website, corp.7-Eleven.com, 7-Eleven is the world's largest operator, franchiser and licenser of convenience stores, with more than 46,000 outlets, surpassing the previous record holder, McDonald's Corp., in 2007 by approximately 1,000.
Baecker told Sussex officials that the company is opening 600 to 1,000 new stores annually.
Because the interior and exteriors of those stores have to be remodeled to fit the company brand and image, there is a delay in submitting request for signs to various municipal authorities, Baecker explained. Consequently, there are temporary banners on the stores in Lake Country telling consumers that the stores are open despite the lack of signs, she said.
- Committee expected to nix idea of dog park in Lisbon
- Hartland police searching for robbery suspect
- In Briefs: Sheepshead, MS, Thiel
- Golden Mast public launch offers option with upcoming closure of Okauchee Lake boat launch
- The Golden Anchor is back again in Delafield (5)
- Arrowhead school board terminates lacrosse complex
- Bike paths dropped from Genesee Street plans in Delafield
- Alonzo Cushing celebrations set for holiday weekend
- Lake Country Memorial Day events remember nation's fallen
- Hartland authorities discuss offering funding for Riverwalk Apartments