The Pewaukee High School varsity dance team took first place in its division for hip-hop dance at the State Pom and Dance Championship on Feb. 2.
This is the fourth year in a row Pewaukee's team has been a regional winner in Division 2 hip-hop, taking second place at state in both 2011 and 2012. Pewaukee was the state winner for Division 2 hip-hop in 2010.
Coach Lisa Gerdman said the success comes down to practice and preparation.
"We have been practicing since October," she said. "So we were really prepared, and we work really well together."
Senior choreographers Ali Kennedy, Sybelle Gesman, Bailee Kussrow and Marisa Hager were responsible for developing the winning routine and teaching it to the team, the coach said.
The team performs at all home football and basketball games and recently performed at Pewaukee's Winterball pep rally.
Gerdman said that the girls also perform at the boys basketball regional and conference games.
"If they keep winning, we keep dancing," she said.
Gerdman said the team will focus on developing its pom routine for next year. Currently, the team only brings a hip-hop routine to state.
But that might be tough, Gerdman said.
"My team is just a hip-hop team," she said. "They are just fierce, and they like to dance hip-hop."
Fans can watch the winning performance at www.foxsportswisconsin.com/pages/prepzone_stream.
- Hartland Chamber hosts annual business trick-or-treat
- FAQs about Stone Bank School referendum
- Have questions about the North Lake School referendum? We have answers
- Interactive: Open enrollment swings funding more than $1 million for Oconomowoc, Kettle Moraine school districts
- In brief: Bell tower donor
- In brief: grand reopening for Realty Executives Integrity
- Anniversaries: Oct. 21, 2014
- Intersection of Highway 83 and 18 in Wales set for full closure Oct. 24-27
- History unfolds as Hawks Inn's quilts are added to national database
- Get your scare on at Fright Hike