The Pewaukee High School varsity dance team took first place in its division for hip-hop dance at the State Pom and Dance Championship on Feb. 2.
This is the fourth year in a row Pewaukee's team has been a regional winner in Division 2 hip-hop, taking second place at state in both 2011 and 2012. Pewaukee was the state winner for Division 2 hip-hop in 2010.
Coach Lisa Gerdman said the success comes down to practice and preparation.
"We have been practicing since October," she said. "So we were really prepared, and we work really well together."
Senior choreographers Ali Kennedy, Sybelle Gesman, Bailee Kussrow and Marisa Hager were responsible for developing the winning routine and teaching it to the team, the coach said.
The team performs at all home football and basketball games and recently performed at Pewaukee's Winterball pep rally.
Gerdman said that the girls also perform at the boys basketball regional and conference games.
"If they keep winning, we keep dancing," she said.
Gerdman said the team will focus on developing its pom routine for next year. Currently, the team only brings a hip-hop routine to state.
But that might be tough, Gerdman said.
"My team is just a hip-hop team," she said. "They are just fierce, and they like to dance hip-hop."
Fans can watch the winning performance at www.foxsportswisconsin.com/pages/prepzone_stream.
- Swallow only local district without 4K
- Business owners, residents, review Genesee Street reconstruction plan
- Asa Clark student wins top state award in VFW writing contest
- Town of Oconomowoc farm protected through conservation easement
- Hartland plan commission eyes annexation for new subdivision
- Human trafficking documentary to be screened locally
- Future of Arrowhead High School lacrosse, field hockey complex uncertain
- Lisbon wants library lawsuit dismissed
- Lawyers: Local governments should have policies on credit-card use
- Hartland plan commission gives thumbs-up to Riverwalk Apartment project