Police: Don't leave valuables in cars
In light of recent "car shopping" at area schools, parents are being cautioned about leaving valuables in their cars, whether they are parked all day in school lots or just being left while parents drop their children off.
According to a report by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department, someone has been stealing purses from unlocked vehicles while the parent is taking their children into school.
Two instances took place Feb. 4 and 6 in Sussex, at Woodside and Maple Avenue elementary schools. Police think the suspect is watching the dropoff/pickup area of schools, looking for parents who have left their vehicles unattended. The person then enters unlocked vehicles and takes purses or wallets that contain credit cards.
The matter is still under investigation, although police have one subject in custody, according to Public Information Officer Jennifer Wallschlaeger of the Sheriff's Department.
"People tend to get a sense of comfort, because this is a safe area, but this is a good opportunity to remind everyone that there are still people out there who do bad things," Village of Hartland Chief Rosch said.
The Lake Country Reporter has reported on similar incidents in the last month.
A purse was stolen from a car at Cushing Elementary just after 4 p.m. Jan. 9. A similar incident was reported Jan. 9 at All About Learning on Highway 67 in the City of Oconomowoc.
More recently, a car was entered at Summit View Elementary School in Waukesha, just before 10 a.m. Feb 19.
Police are asking parents to lock vehicles and take any wallets or purses with them. In addition, if any parent sees someone looking into vehicles or otherwise suspicious, they are asked to call 911 immediately to report it.
- Reel World: 'Unfriended' has too many glitches despite promise
- Lisbon exploring dog park options
- AHS robotics team heads to championship in St. Louis
- Springdale Road project has issues
- Pewaukee planners pave way for new development
- After 50 years of service, Hartland trustee still looking to give back
- Two injured, one seriously, in two-car head-on collision in Lisbon
- Former Bob Lang aide interested in buying Delafield Hotel
- Town of Delafield to hold open house on new town hall
- Lake Country death notices, April 16, 2015: Neff