Brookfield Police have arrested a 21-year-old Milwaukee man who allegedly robbed a bank in Pewaukee.
The man, who wore a ski mask, apparently entered the Capitol Drive Pick 'n Save at about 12:15 p.m. Wednesday, March 13, and approached the teller stationed at the Guaranty Bank. He said he wanted to make a withdrawal but handed a note to the teller demanding money instead, according to police.
Capt. Tim Otto of the Pewaukee Police Department said that the note indicated that he had a weapon, although none was visible and none was located on the suspect. No one was injured during the incident.
"The teller was outstanding. She did everything right," Otto said.
The teller appeared to make a withdrawal and gave the suspect cash - more than $2,000 - along with a dye pack, set on a timer. It exploded in the parking lot, and witnesses were able to make note of the man while he drove away, his clothes and his cash stained, Otto said. According to police reports, he took off in a Chevy Malibu with personalized plates and was caught minutes later in the 13700 block of Capitol Drive
When police were arresting him, they found heroine and other paraphernalia on him, according to their reports.
Otto explained that the man is being held for violating his probation. He has been previously convicted of bail jumping, maintaining a drug trafficking place in 2011, and possessing cocaine in 2011. He was also convicted of burglary in 2010.
The Village of Pewaukee plans to seek charges of armed robbery (enhanced for the ski mask), possession of drugs and possession of paraphernalia.
"We're glad that everything happened the way it did and that everyone is OK. The teller did the right thing," Otto said.
- North Lake commissioners discuss reducing daily fish limits, marking sand bars
- Loaf & Jug Restaurant moving from Brookfield to Pewaukee
- Strategic vision forum members sought by Kettle Moraine School District
- Area businessman offers to finance plan to shore up Pewaukee Lake's Bill Brown Island
- Pewaukee Village Board votes to create finance director-treasurer position
- Hartland Fire Department open house on tap Oct. 10
- Pewaukee's Horizon Elementary School holding grand opening of new space Thursday
- Hartland-Lakeside/Merton joint school board meeting to address merger questions
- Hartland Marsh cleanup effort continues, but future uncertain
- Website earns three national honors