School volunteers needed in Pewaukee
New programs need community's help
Pewaukee Lake Elementary and Horizon schools are seeking volunteers to help with new programming at the schools.
Volunteer coordinator Christine Baar said her goal is to cultivate the Expert Listener and Math Mentoring programs and Book Room, a teacher resource area, available at both schools.
The programs offer support and strategies when working with individual students from kindergarten through sixth grade on a weekly or bimonthly basis, for 45 to 75 minutes.
Baar identified several specific areas where she needs volunteers:
Math mentor: 30 to 60 minutes weekly or biweekly, depending on grade. Training is provided for games and strategies to use to support the day's lesson.
Expert listener: 75 minutes weekly or biweekly to help students in K5 through third grade at Pewaukee Lake, from 9 to 11:15 a.m. The volunteer would help students if they have difficulty with words or comprehension.
This program alone needs 45 volunteers.
Relay for Life: Helping Key Club, a high schoolvolunteer organization, with the spring event.
Recess supervision: Supervising playtime at Horizon.
Kindergarten support: Adults needed to help during reading and math.
As needed: Times and dates vary as teachers from all schools submit requests.
To apply for one of the positions, visit userweb.pewaukee.k12.wi.us/baarchr/application.pdf.
The School District will perform a background check on all volunteers. It is not required to be a parent; community volunteers are welcome.
"Parents, high school students, senior citizens, businesses and organizations collectively have a myriad of talents, knowledge and devotion that helps to develop well-rounded students," Baar explained.
For more information, contact Baar at email@example.com. us or (262) 701-5513.
- Village of Pewaukee changes course, won't hire finance director
- Waukesha County Republican Chairman John Macy confident in Trump, expects big vote margins
- Town of Merton looking for a new town clerk
- Sediment closes boat ramp on Pewaukee Lake
- Capitol Drive bridge repairs to cause lane closures in Pewaukee (1)
- I.d., new restaurant in Delafield Hotel, to open mid-May
- Arrowhead facilities survey to hit mailboxes around May 9
- Victim in Monday's fatal crash on Highway 16 in Delafield identified as 76-year-old Berlin man (3)
- Crash closes Highway 16 in Hartland
- In brief: Town of Oconomowoc road projects, Neylon to meet with constituents, challenger for 5th Con