Sensenbrenner wins 18th term in 5th District
In 17 consecutive elections for the House of Representatives, U.S. Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-Menomonee Falls) have never received less than 60 percent of the vote, and this year is no exception.
Sensenbrenner, one of the most senior members of the House of Representatives, was elected to a 18th term by defeating his challenger, Democrat Dave Heaster, a Menomonee Falls Internet technologist, by a 68 percent to 32 percent margin, 249,267 to 117, 972 votes, in one of the safest Republican congressional districts in the state.
Heaster did not raise funds or conduct an aggressive campaign, according to The Associated Press and NBC News.
However, he told Lake Country Publications in October that he thought one of the reasons Congress has such a low approval rating with voters is because of "partisan brinkmanship, infighting and greed" and suggested more social events that allow members of Congress to get to know each other better.
"Conduct a weekly happy hour where members of Congress could get to know one another outside of the politically charged house floor," he suggested.
Sensenbrenner has been critical of President Barack Obama and argued during the campaign that stabilizing the Middle East, creating more jobs, reducing the national debt and eliminating "Obamacare" should be top priorities.
All of Wisconsin's incumbent members of the House of Representatives were re-elected.
- Waukesha County panel approves funds for study examining regional fire department consolidation
- Fate of Sports Authority in Delafield unclear
- Freese named new principal at Zion Lutheran School
- Pewaukee man winner of $2 million Powerball drawing
- Local birder dedicates life to Wisconsin conservation
- Beloit firm buys former Lang buildings
- Pewaukee Kiwanis RiverRun ready to welcome paddlers
- Realtor attacked while showing rental property was Delafield agent, group says
- Student in custody after making threat at Kettle Moraine High School
- Village of Pewaukee changes course, won't hire finance director