Hartland splash pad could be open by Memorial Day
Village of Hartland - Even in the deep freeze of winter, work is moving ahead on the splash pad planned for Nixon Park.
The project will be going out to bid next week, said Lake Country Rotary Club member and project co-chairman Keith Kindred. Planners hope to begin excavation work in April and complete construction in time for the splash pad to open on Memorial Day weekend.
"Probably the only thing standing in the way of that is the weather," said co-chairman Mike Kaiser.
Organizers are hopeful that local contractors will bid on the project and offer to donate some or all of the labor and materials as a way to give back to the community in which they've built their businesses, Kindred said.
The Rotary Club is close to its goal of raising $300,000 to build the concrete-surfaced water play area, but is still accepting donations, Kaiser said. Funds raised above and beyond the cost of the project as currently designed would go toward either the inclusion of additional "nice-to-have" features or toward a $15,000 endowment the club has pledged to the village to help defray future maintenance costs.
Members of the Hartland Kiwanis Club are also continuing to raise funds for their project to build two picnic pavilions, each with eight picnic tables, near the splash pad. Club members are planning to do much of the construction work themselves.
The club has so far raised about $9,000 toward its goal of $20,000 to pay for materials, said club President Brad Tindal. To raise funds, the club is selling engraved bricks for $125 or $250 and offering sponsorship opportunities at two different levels, $400 and $2,500.
The splash pad will be installed just south of the tennis courts in Nixon Park.
Contractors interested in being included on the bidders' list should contact Kindred at email@example.com. To donate money for the Kiwanis picnic pavilions or purchase a brick or sponsorship, visit www.kiwanisofhartland.com. To donate money toward the splash pad, visit www.lakecountryrotarysplashpad.com.
- In briefs: Collectors, hazardous waste, labor laws
- In brief: Bus trip, volleyball, St. John's
- Committee expected to nix idea of dog park in Lisbon
- Hartland police searching for robbery suspect
- In Briefs: Sheepshead, MS, Thiel
- Golden Mast public launch offers option with upcoming closure of Okauchee Lake boat launch
- The Golden Anchor is back again in Delafield (5)
- Arrowhead school board terminates lacrosse complex
- Bike paths dropped from Genesee Street plans in Delafield
- Cushing celebrations over Memorial Day weekend