Village of Pewaukee — The walls are up and construction is well underway for Waukesha County Technical College's indoor gun range. The range is being constructed primarily for law-enforcement training, but will be open to the public through membership.
Associate Dean of Law Enforcement Brian Dorow said things are on target for the range's opening in October. Dorow worked with private donors to secure 30 percent of the $1 million range's cost before WCTC would sign off on the project. He said more than 25 donors, which includes businesses, have supported the range through monetary contributions and donations of materials.
Dorow said years of planning went into creating the state-of-the art tactical training ground. The range is 25 yards long with 12 lanes, and Dorow said it will enable law enforcement to hold in-service sessions and specialty training there. It will be open at certain times for the public for target practice, and also for those who want to continue firearms training they started when they earned their concealed carry license.
"There will be more scenario-based training relevant to situations they could encounter," such as having your business robbed or a home burglary, Dorow said. He added that feedback from concealed carry students continues to indicate that they want more related training. "So we can offer training on how to react to different situations, but also technical assistance such as stance or even what they best gun for you is," Dorow said.
Information on membership and new course offerings will be available soon, Dorow said.
- In briefs: Collectors, hazardous waste, labor laws
- In brief: Bus trip, volleyball, St. John's
- Committee expected to nix idea of dog park in Lisbon
- Hartland police searching for robbery suspect
- In Briefs: Sheepshead, MS, Thiel
- Golden Mast public launch offers option with upcoming closure of Okauchee Lake boat launch
- The Golden Anchor is back again in Delafield (5)
- Arrowhead school board terminates lacrosse complex
- Bike paths dropped from Genesee Street plans in Delafield
- Cushing celebrations over Memorial Day weekend