Big Bend considers library expansion
Village of Big Bend - If all goes as planned, village residents could be taking advantage of a bigger library in the future.
Big Bend Community Library officials brought the idea of a possible expansion to the Plan Commission on Jan. 24.
Although still preliminary, the plan to expand the library at its current location is being looked at closely and is being drawn up by architects and designers. This plan would also potentially allow for an extra room to be designated for the Big Bend Police Department, which shares the building.
Library Sadie Soneberg said that while there is no current timetable for the project, she is ready to get the ball rolling and come up with a plan.
"We're hoping to put on additional space; any type of space would be helpful," Soneberg said. "Right now, it's just in the we-hope-to stage."
According to Village Clerk Barbara Woppert, the village is considering a trailer or modular-type device to be built or put next to the library, using the library's large picture window as an entrance to the new structure.
Both women referenced an anonymous business owner who helped to get the project started when he suggested he was willing to donate time and talent to assist in improving the library.
"People from the village are willing to donate their time and their labor, so now is the time to get started," Soneberg said. "We have people committed to helping us."
Soneberg said the vision is not grandiose; she is just looking for what she calls "breathing room" in her current location. Soneberg said officials considered a possible trailer, but felt it would not meet their needs, and are now working with designers to see what they could possibly do within budget.
"Everyone in this building is tight on space," Soneberg said. "It's going to come down to what is possible to fund as far as purchase and setup here."
Soneberg reiterated the fact that it might be quite some time before the expansion becomes a reality, but said she is excited about the benefit it would be to the library.
- Mukwonago school district selects construction manager
- Aldi moving in to Mukwonago (4)
- Fourth of July festivities on tap in East Troy, Eagle
- Golf Scores 07/01/15
- Baseball: Despite injuries and diabetes, Nichols thrives in athletics for Mukwonago
- Baseball: Mukwonago splits battles
- Five years later, Eagle remembers the tornado that ripped through community (2)
- Mukwonago Chief's Carol Spaeth-Bauer named Outstanding Citizen of the Year (1)
- Mukwonago Girl Scout earns highest scouting honor
- Basketball: Mukwonago saw future NBA draftees Tokoto, Looney