Town of Mukwonago - A fire that started in a garbage can spread and destroyed a garage on Jan. 25.
A passerby called the Mukwonago Fire Department at about 1:45 p.m. to report a garbage can on fire at W325 W7184 Squire Lane.
That person also alerted the resident inside, who was able to get out safely with the family dog.
Mukwonago Fire Chief, Jeffrey Stien, said the fire is thought to have started when ashes that were left to cool overnight were dumped into the trash bin. The ashes had not cooled entirely and lit materials in the bin on fire.
Crews arrived to find the fire had spread to the garage. According to Stien, the department issued a call for a second alarm fire and had 10 departments respond, including City of Waukesha, Town of Waukesha, Dousman, Wales/Genesee, Vernon, Eagle, North Prairie, New Berlin, Big Bend, and East Troy. The first engine on scene was able to knock down the fire to prevent the fire from spreading to the two-story single-family home.
When crews entered the home they found the fire had breeched the attic, but they were able to contain the fire so there was minimal damage to the floors below.
Some on scene or nearby referred to hearing what sounded like explosions during the fire.
Stien said that as common in a garage, stored propane likely caused that noise.
The cost of the damage is still being assessed at this time but Stien estimated it at approximately $75,000.
- Park View Middle School robotics teams headed to state
- Tax rate will increase slightly in village of Eagle
- Mukwonago food pantries ensure everyone will have Thanksgiving meal
- Taxes will go up for town of Mukwonago residents with levy increasing by 2.7 percent
- Help the Mukwonago Chief help those less fortunate in its Yule Feed Families food drive
- Video: Mukwonago couple cha-chas to the top
- Mukwonago Community Briefs: Christmas in Vernon, Blue Christmas service
- Election 2015: Many municipal positions expire in April of next year
- Boys basketball: New faces, same goal for Mukwonago boys
- Girls basketball: Glatczak's triple-double leads Mukwonago in season opener