Town of Mukwonago - A fire that started in a garbage can spread and destroyed a garage on Jan. 25.
A passerby called the Mukwonago Fire Department at about 1:45 p.m. to report a garbage can on fire at W325 W7184 Squire Lane.
That person also alerted the resident inside, who was able to get out safely with the family dog.
Mukwonago Fire Chief, Jeffrey Stien, said the fire is thought to have started when ashes that were left to cool overnight were dumped into the trash bin. The ashes had not cooled entirely and lit materials in the bin on fire.
Crews arrived to find the fire had spread to the garage. According to Stien, the department issued a call for a second alarm fire and had 10 departments respond, including City of Waukesha, Town of Waukesha, Dousman, Wales/Genesee, Vernon, Eagle, North Prairie, New Berlin, Big Bend, and East Troy. The first engine on scene was able to knock down the fire to prevent the fire from spreading to the two-story single-family home.
When crews entered the home they found the fire had breeched the attic, but they were able to contain the fire so there was minimal damage to the floors below.
Some on scene or nearby referred to hearing what sounded like explosions during the fire.
Stien said that as common in a garage, stored propane likely caused that noise.
The cost of the damage is still being assessed at this time but Stien estimated it at approximately $75,000.
- Girls volleyball: Mukwonago pulls away from Arrowhead in volleyball sectional
- Girls volleyball: Mukwonago volleyball readies for sectional
- Good voter turnout expected at area polls for Nov. 4 election
- Lakeside closes, will reopen as Troy's Heaven City Supper Club at new location in Mukwonago
- Kwik Trip plans hit roadblock in Mukwonago
- East Troy Family Community Resource Center holding its annual silent auction fundraiser
- Cross country: Mukwonago runners kept from state showcase
- Church choirs, musicians will play at First Congregational Church of Mukwonago on Nov. 2
- Mukwonago High School singers join state choir
- Red flags prompt regulations on massage, escort services in village of Mukwonago