In August, the Mukwonago High School debate team set its goal for this year's debate season: "Do even better than last year." That's a challenge, since last year ended with state championships in two divisions.
Defending those state titles was difficult, but Mukwonago came through. Mukwonago's team of Amanda Fuller, Sophia Dolan, Allison Friske and Abby Koshollek tied with Waukesha South, and the first and second tiebreakers didn't clarify matters. In the third tiebreaker, Mukwonago proved the better team by 3 points.
Additional awards in the division were won by Amanda and Sophia, who received the Grace Walsh Award for "Best Affirmative Pair"; Sophia was honored as the top speaker at her position; Abby was ranked as the second best speaker in the entire division.
Mukwonago's team of Macie Brahm, Libbie Main, Becky Daniels and Nick Janovetz finished 7-1 to take the title in the Novice Division. Coach Dan Hansen says that although debaters don't know exact records until the end, he had a good idea that the team was in contention and rallied them before their last round. As it turned out, that round fell to Becky and Nick, who beat previously undefeated Middleton to claim the title.
While back-to-back state titles in two divisions is certainly attention-grabbing, Hansen says he is just as proud of assistant coach Kayla Gerick, who was tasked this year with rebuilding the Public Forum (PF) squad from the ground up and the Two-Person Varsity Switch Side division. "
- Mukwonago School District students could see a new name on their buses in fall
- Big Bend moves on with permit despite concerns
- Mukwonago bookmaking experience builds friends, writing skills
- Musician Eddie Cash will perform at the American Legion Post 375 in Mukwonago
- Women's Club of East Troy celebrates 41 years of Art and Artisan Craft fair
- Chief on the Street: Top news stories in this week's Mukwonago Chief
- North Prairie man dies after motorcycle/car crash in Mukwonago
- Neighbors express concern at hearing for fill site in Big Bend
- Parade to celebrate Memorial Day in Mukwonago
- Town of Mukwonago tops list of area road construction projects