In August, the Mukwonago High School debate team set its goal for this year's debate season: "Do even better than last year." That's a challenge, since last year ended with state championships in two divisions.
Defending those state titles was difficult, but Mukwonago came through. Mukwonago's team of Amanda Fuller, Sophia Dolan, Allison Friske and Abby Koshollek tied with Waukesha South, and the first and second tiebreakers didn't clarify matters. In the third tiebreaker, Mukwonago proved the better team by 3 points.
Additional awards in the division were won by Amanda and Sophia, who received the Grace Walsh Award for "Best Affirmative Pair"; Sophia was honored as the top speaker at her position; Abby was ranked as the second best speaker in the entire division.
Mukwonago's team of Macie Brahm, Libbie Main, Becky Daniels and Nick Janovetz finished 7-1 to take the title in the Novice Division. Coach Dan Hansen says that although debaters don't know exact records until the end, he had a good idea that the team was in contention and rallied them before their last round. As it turned out, that round fell to Becky and Nick, who beat previously undefeated Middleton to claim the title.
While back-to-back state titles in two divisions is certainly attention-grabbing, Hansen says he is just as proud of assistant coach Kayla Gerick, who was tasked this year with rebuilding the Public Forum (PF) squad from the ground up and the Two-Person Varsity Switch Side division. "
- Tax rate will increase slightly in village of Eagle
- Mukwonago food pantries ensure everyone will have Thanksgiving meal
- Taxes will go up for town of Mukwonago residents with levy increasing by 2.7 percent
- Help the Mukwonago Chief help those less fortunate in its Yule Feed Families food drive
- Video: Mukwonago couple cha-chas to the top
- Mukwonago Community Briefs: Christmas in Vernon, Blue Christmas service
- Election 2015: Many municipal positions expire in April of next year
- Boys basketball: New faces, same goal for Mukwonago boys
- Girls basketball: Glatczak's triple-double leads Mukwonago in season opener
- Bowling Scores 11/26/14