Senior dining in Mukwonago may change
Proposal seeks to reduce senior lunches to four days a week
The senior lunch menu may soon be changing at one local meal site.
Under a proposal now under consideration, senior lunches could be eliminated on Fridays at the BirchRock Apartments site in Mukwonago.
The change has been proposed because of a decline in need at the Mukwonago site - and a corresponding increase in need in New Berlin.
The senior dining program offered through the Aging and Disability Resource Center of Waukesha County provides low-cost hot, nutritious meals and social and educational opportunities to seniors at 10 locations throughout the county. Most of the locations provide meals five days a week, including the Mukwonago location at Birch Rock Apartments.
According to the county Aging and Disability Resource Center, there has been an increase in need at the New Berlin site, which currently serves meals four days a week, Monday through Thursday. A decrease in need at the Mukwonago site has led the center to recommend a reduction from serving Monday through Friday to Monday through Thursday.
Jackie Goldbaum, dining services manager at BirchRock Apartments, said that on the average day the meal center sees anywhere from 15 to 20 seniors for its lunch service, in addition to the 20-25 who receive meals delivered to their homes.
On Fridays, however, the center may only see eight to 10 seniors come in for lunch.
Under the proposal, BirchRock Apartments would serve warm meals Monday through Thursday and keep its home delivery on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday intact for those who cannot make it to the center.
Goldbaum said all of the managers from BirchRock and the resource center are preparing to discuss the potential change at a meeting late Tuesday. After that meeting, there will be additional information available on how this change could affect seniors currently using the service and when any changes will take place. That meeting took place after this paper went to press.
Calls to the aging and disability resource center were not returned by deadline.
- New polling place in town of Mukwonago
- Mukwonago dance team earns state honors for ninth straight year
- Mukwonago High School hosting big band style concert
- Village of Mukwonago likely won't take over subdivisions' open space
- Mukwonago's Farmers Market growing as it enters 10th year
- Proposed 'major' changes for committee of whole meetings in Mukwonago
- Superintendent praises district's initiatives in Mukwonago School District's new column
- Partnership provides nursing assistant training at Mukwonago High School
- Police warn of fake IRS calls and counterfeit $100 bills in Mukwonago
- Mini-grants from education foundation help schools in Mukwonago