Sikhism at a glance
The word "Sikh" (pronounced "sickh") means "disciple" or "learner." The Sikh religion was founded in Northern India in the 15th century by Guru Nanak Dev Ji and is distinct from Islam and Hinduism. Sikhism is monotheistic and stresses the equality of all men and women. Sikhs believe in three basic principles: meditating on the name of God (praying), earning a living by honest means, as well as sharing the fruits of one's labor with others. Sikhism rejects caste and class systems and emphasizes service to humanity.
The Sikh faith teaches the humanitarian principles of freedom, equality, and justice. Sikhs have been in the United States for more than100 years. Sikhism recognizes the universal truths that underlie all human endeavors, religions and belief systems. The universal nature of the Sikh way of life reaches out to people of all faiths and cultural backgrounds, encouraging us to see beyond our differences and to work together for world peace and harmony.
99 percent of people wearing turbans in the U.S. are Sikhs from India.
There are roughly 700,000 Sikhs in the U.S. today.
Sikhism is the world's fifth largest religion, with 25 million adherents worldwide.
Sikhs believe in one God, equality, freedom of religion, and community service.
Turbans are worn to cover unshorn hair and with respect to God.
The Sikh turban represents a commitment to equality and justice.
- Mukwonago School District students could see a new name on their buses in fall
- Big Bend moves on with permit despite concerns
- Mukwonago bookmaking experience builds friends, writing skills
- Musician Eddie Cash will perform at the American Legion Post 375 in Mukwonago
- Women's Club of East Troy celebrates 41 years of Art and Artisan Craft fair
- Chief on the Street: Top news stories in this week's Mukwonago Chief
- North Prairie man dies after motorcycle/car crash in Mukwonago
- Neighbors express concern at hearing for fill site in Big Bend
- Parade to celebrate Memorial Day in Mukwonago
- Town of Mukwonago tops list of area road construction projects