Town of Eagle fights four-alarm house fire
Town of Eagle - The town had its own blaze to battle Jan. 31, after sending units to the Echo Lake Foods plant fire in Burlington early that morning. Town firefighters were summoned to a house fire at W347 S7281 Sprague Road at about 11:30 p.m. Sprague Road was temporarily blocked off on both sides of the scene while crews addressed the blaze.
The residents reported the fire after smoke detectors in the home alerted them to the blaze; they were able to evacuate safely. Firefighters and the residents attribute the fire to a fireplace in the basement of the home.
Twelve departments from three counties fought the four-alarm fire for nearly six hours in frigid cold temperatures. Responding departments included Mukwonago, North Prairie, Dousman, Big Bend, Wales/Genesee, Western Waukesha RIC, Troy Center, Sullivan, Palmyra, East Troy and the Town and City of Waukesha. The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department also responded.
The North Prairie Fire Department Auxiliary and City of Waukesha Metro sent ambulances to provide shelter from the below-zero windchills and warmth for firefighters on scene.
Eagle Deputy Chief Andy Shird said that fighting the fire in the cold temperatures is no easy task. Several responding units had to deal with frozen equipment, including pumps, valves and hoses, which provided a challenge in getting water to the scene. Water that did make it to the scene took only moments to freeze and create icy conditions for responders.
Waukesha County tax records show the home is owned by Kenneth and Susan Drolsum. While there were no injuries, the family has been displaced and, according to Shird, might be for a while. There is expansive damage to the home and the residents were set up to stay with family. The damage was still being assessed, but initial reports estimate the damage at as much as $300,000.
- Mukwonago School District students could see a new name on their buses in fall
- Big Bend moves on with permit despite concerns
- Mukwonago bookmaking experience builds friends, writing skills
- Musician Eddie Cash will perform at the American Legion Post 375 in Mukwonago
- Women's Club of East Troy celebrates 41 years of Art and Artisan Craft fair
- Chief on the Street: Top news stories in this week's Mukwonago Chief
- North Prairie man dies after motorcycle/car crash in Mukwonago
- Neighbors express concern at hearing for fill site in Big Bend
- Parade to celebrate Memorial Day in Mukwonago
- Town of Mukwonago tops list of area road construction projects