Mukwonago Library Director Nick Weber to take on new challenges in Illinois
After breathing life back into a stalled library expansion project and seeing the construction, renovation and moving of the Mukwonago Community Library, Library Director Nick Weber will leave Mukwonago to take a position at the Woodstock Public Library in Woodstock, Ill., effective Jan. 11, 2013. Weber will assume the duties as director at Woodstock on Jan. 14, according to the Woodstock Public Library website.
Weber, who came to Mukwonago on Sept. 1, 2008, after the retirement of previous Library Director Kathy McBride, said the expansion project was "definitely the highlight of my time here."
Woodstock is about 50-percent bigger than Mukwonago in the number of people served, the size of the library and even the library budget, Weber explained.
"It reminded me of Mukwonago, but on a slightly larger scale," Weber said.
While the intrigue of a larger, more-diverse community drew Weber to Woodstock, he also took the position to be closer to his fiance, who is from Illinois, and her family.
However, it was a tough decision.
Looking back, Weber said he is satisfied with how he was better able to use staff members' strengths to their best advantage. Technology and collection upgrades that came partly as a result of the expansion and partly as a means of keeping the library vibrant and relevant were also areas of satisfaction from his four-plus years at Mukwonago.
The Mukwonago library has always had good children's programming; Weber said, but now also includes programming for adults, both younger and older, aided by the community room in the new building.
As the Library Board works to fill the gap in the director's role, an interim director will be hired on a part-time basis to handle items that cannot wait until a new director starts. Weber said a search firm would be used to expedite the process, and advertising will begin as soon as possible to keep the gap without a full-time director to a minimum. Weber suspects there will be good candidates for the library director position since it offers a brand-new facility.
To Mukwonago library patrons and community members, Weber says, "Thank you."
"It's been wonderful," added Weber. "I've enjoyed my time here tremendously and was thrilled to get the library expansion complete. It's been a lot of fun."
- Get your tickets for Mukwonago High School musical, 'Fiddler'
- Merger plans for Eagle, North Prairie fire departments still at bay
- 4K program coming to Mukwonago School District next year
- Cross country: Scherbarth to lead Mukwonago boys cross country team
- Mukwonago Lions will hold its 49th fisheree on Lake Beulah in East Troy
- Mukwonago Sports Shorts: Varsity reserve wrestlers, Mukwonago boys swimming
- Mukwonago bowling scores 01/27/15
- Wrestling: Mukwonago wrestling team outmuscled by Pewaukee in dual meet
- Bowling: Hibbard brothers' bowling achievements include 800 series
- Girls basketball: Mukwonago junior Bre Cera's 37 points set school record