Cooney steps up with busload of support for pantry
Meadow View students collect 10 carts of food for needy
City of Oconomowoc - Local students, working in conjunction with an area business recently held a successful drive to help the hungry in their area.
Students at Meadow View School participated in the second annual Stuff the Bus collection effort in conjunction with Oconomowoc Transport bus company.
Meadow View's student council lead the school effort collecting two grocery carts filled with nonperishable food items.
The bus company donated the use of a large school bus to fill with food donations for the Oconomowoc Food Pantry. Stationed at the Piggly Wiggly on Highway P, bus drivers and other employees volunteered to collect food items and then stock the shelves at the food bank.
The community responded in generous fashion. Michelle Turinske, of Oconomowoc Transport, said the effort garnered 10 full shopping carts of food and $325.90 to help their neighbors in need.
Oconomowoc Food Pantry organizers Bill and Lois Jackson said donations are down in fall and demand increases with Thanksgiving around the corner.
"Our busiest month is always November, followed by December. We serve each household once a month," Lois Jackson said.
"If someone comes in and doesn't live in the area, we give them food and refer them to their local food pantry. No one leaves us without some food," she added.
The Food Pantry is made possible through the generosity of community events, churches, clubs, schools, postal drives, scouts, and other donations and is entirely staffed by volunteers.
Hours of operation for the Oconomowoc Food Pantry are from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday and 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.
- ORBIS in Oconomowoc recognized as environmentally friendly
- Cruisin' Highway 16 Car Show coming back to Oconomowoc
- Hwy. 67 shops in Oconomowoc agree to use social media to overcome downturn
- Pillards' gardens will be in Oconomowoc Woman's Club event
- The community is invited to the fifth annual Oconomowoc Arts Center open house
- Ixonia neighborhood provides seats for Pete's recovery walk
- Video: Oconomowoc shoe repair shop has adapted to thrive; yet, the art of shoe repair is fading
- Six applicants for Oconomowoc mayor seat
- Three applicants so far for Oconomowoc's interim mayor seat
- Oconomowoc surveys land in southwestern part of city to find location for new well