Give the gift of local this year from the Oconomowoc Winter Farmers Market
The Oconomowoc Winter Farmers' Market offers shoppers an outlet for innovative and unique gift to give this holiday season. The market has more than 23 local producers and vendors selling a diversity of products including everything from A to W (apricot jam to wheat free treats.).
The next market is from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 9. The market is located inside of the festively decorated greenhouses at Oconomowoc Landscape Supply and Garden Center, N68 W37850 Highway K.
Gift ideas range from homemade toffee to herb infused oils, vinegars, salts and sugars. Other unique and tasty gift items include pickled mushrooms, asparagus spears, belly beans and homemade sauces, pesto and jams.
Brookfield business, Embossed Edibles, has ornate creations you can save or eat. The creations, called Springerle Cookies date back to the 14th century with the oldest known mold from Switzerland. Biblical scenes were some of the earliest images and were used to educate those who could not read or write. Later other scenes were carved depicting images of the holidays.
The Oconomowoc Winter Farmers' Market also has fresh locally grown produce, meats, eggs and artisan cheese that can be incorporated into many different types of holiday meals. New this year to the Winter Farmers' Market is producer Cloud Nine Soap Co. of Delafield.
Other unique holiday gifts include gourmet granola, specialty elk products, Alpaca fiber teddy bears, hats, gloves, scarves, rugs, socks and yarn.
Also on Sunday, the Gitto Family Farm n Kitchen will be featured as the "Ask the Expert Vendor." The vendor will demonstrate tortilla making from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Following that, vermiculturist Connie Holzmiller will present the demonstration, "Harvesting Your Compost Worm Casting," from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
The Oconomowoc Winter Farmers Market runs the second and fourth Sundays of the month through March. The Dec. 23 market will feature something for last-minute shoppers as Oconomowoc Landscape Supply & Garden Center staff will be on hand to help you find last-minute gifts for under $10 and there will be a complimentary gift wrapping station.
- Oconomowoc man gets surprise from Donald Driver
- Focus named as official Oconomowoc city newspaper
- OPEF awards more than $30,000 to Oconomowoc educators
- Oconomowoc officials still undecided on how to fill mayoral seat
- Heroin coverage wins award for Lake Country Reporter and Oconomowoc Focus
- Two cats perish in Summit house fire; family escapes injuries
- Oconomowoc police release further details of suspected murder case
- The Oconomowoc Arts Center is swinging into summer with entertainment lineup
- Construction to begin this summer on new Faith Baptist Church in Summit
- Young Oconomowoc pianist impresses Lake Country