Ixonia kindergartners practice yoga for relaxation and focus
Ixonia kindergarten teacher, Jennifer Ellis, recently returned to the practice of yoga. At the same time, she noticed that a few of her students were experiencing large motor muscular development issues.
She was struck with the idea of introducing yoga to her class to help build on the core strength of all her students, to help them develop better balance and become more aware of their bodies. In just a few weeks, Ellis has noticed changes in student focus and attention span.
Kindergarten yoga also fits nicely into the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) being practiced in Oconomowoc schools. PBIS is a new initiative that allows schools to use a common language surrounding behavioral expectations that are currently part of the Responsive Classroom.
The initiative features collected behavior-related data to provide necessary interventions when behavioral expectations are not being met. At Ixonia School, students pride themselves on being safe, being kind, being a learner, and keeping everyone in mind.
Ellis noted, "(The students) talk about how they feel and yoga helps follow these expectations. They know that they must do yoga safely, keeping space around them to move. Students are kind by telling others that they are doing a great job at yoga."
The kindergarteners also mentioned that yoga helps them relax so that they can be better learners, and by being healthy they are helping everyone.
Ellis holds her five-minute yoga practice between Reader's and Writer's workshops. "Since we began, I have noticed that yoga has had a calming effect and allows students to better focus on their tasks." She added, "It has really built our classroom 'family' and given students success as a team."
- ORBIS in Oconomowoc recognized as environmentally friendly
- Cruisin' Highway 16 Car Show coming back to Oconomowoc
- Hwy. 67 shops in Oconomowoc agree to use social media to overcome downturn
- Pillards' gardens will be in Oconomowoc Woman's Club event
- The community is invited to the fifth annual Oconomowoc Arts Center open house
- Ixonia neighborhood provides seats for Pete's recovery walk
- Video: Oconomowoc shoe repair shop has adapted to thrive; yet, the art of shoe repair is fading
- Six applicants for Oconomowoc mayor seat
- Three applicants so far for Oconomowoc's interim mayor seat
- Oconomowoc surveys land in southwestern part of city to find location for new well