Moonlit Movies has 'super' plans for summer
Group announces Ocomicon event coming in August
City of Oconomowoc - Popular summer activity, Moonlit Movies, is grabbing its cape and gearing up for a new theme for its August event. Ocomicon is this year's super hero-themed event slated for August.
"We can't give away too much yet, but I can say we are working on bringing in some big names and big production effects for this event. We will have a live music stage and a plethora of kids activities," said Joe Haas, a member of the Moonlit Movies board.
In line with Oz Fest in 2009 and Pirate Fest in 2011, Moonlit Movies is planning another downtown event they say will shatter their previous one-day attendance records, the largest to date in the city's downtown history.
"We did not hold a downtown event last year. It is a lot of work and we wanted to make sure if we did it, we did it right. We have a great theme and have stored up our energies to blow it out of the water this season," said Moonlit Movies President, Jalane Sauer.
The dates for the 2013 season are Thursday, June 13, Thursday, July 18, (both at Fowler Park) and Thursday, Aug. 15 for Ocomicon. Children's activities begin and food will be served starting at 6 p.m. and the family-friendly movie will begin around dusk.
About Moonlit Movies
Now in its eighth season, Moonlit Movies brings the community together family-friendly activities, dinning and a free family-friendly outdoor movie on a 40-foot inflatable screen. The volunteer board Moonlit Movies has undergone changes in the last year. Jason Mauer and Mike Czarny who both separately had newborns in the past few months and stepped down from service. Both men served several seasons with Moonlit Movies.
The organization welcomes Hilary DeVries of Root's Coffeebar & Café in downtown. "Hilary is a member of the newly formed Downtown Oconomowoc Business Association(DOBA) and has demonstrated a strong philanthropic heart for the community," said Craig Pruscha, co-founder of Moonlit Movies. He added, "Roots Cafe supports the community in more ways than I can count. We are honored to have her and the DOBA affiliation."
"Moonlit Movies was built by members of our community, involves businesses within our community, provides entertainment for the families of our community and ultimately benefits those-in-need via The Oconomowoc Food Pantry," said Beth Duffy, current board member.
Due to legal restraints, Moonlit Movies is prohibited from announcing the movie title too far in advance of each showing, although hints aren't prohibited and usually abundant on their website, www.Moonlit Movies.org or their Facebook page.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Awareness Week, Oct. 11-17, works to eliminate stigma
- YMCA at Pabst Farms in Oconomowoc opens doors for free weekend Oct. 17, 18
- News IQ: Oct. 8
- Oconomowoc's aldermanic primary scheduled for Oct. 13
- Dedication ceremony planned for Veterans Memorial Park in Oconomowoc
- Former Oconomowoc family safe amidst historic South Carolina storms
- The Oconomowoc Area Senior Center will host an ice cream social for the public on Saturday
- Scrapbooking for a cause to be held this weekend at Ben Franklin in Oconomowoc
- Oconomowoc Fire Department to cook up annual pancake breakfast this weekend
- Oconomowoc High School history students plug in for a powerful look at the past