Robot-Building students put STEM skills to the test
All invited to watch young innovators at VEX Robotics competition at OHS on Dec. 15
More than 25 teams of leading middle and high school VEX Robotics students and mentors from around eastern and southeastern Wisconsin will unite at Oconomowoc High School on Saturday, Dec. 15 for the Oconomowoc Robotics Tournament, hosted by Silver Lake Intermediate School.
The action-packed tournament will feature approximately 29 teams who will compete with and against other schools in a series of back-to-back robot challenges, made possible by a grant from the Oconomowoc Area Foundation Grant.
Participants will compete for the championship title by strategically executing the game Sack Attack, driving robots they designed, built and programmed from the ground up using the VEX Robotics Design System.
VEX Robotics is the world's fastest-growing competitive robotics program, with more than 5,000 teams from 30 countries that participate in more than 350 VEX Robotics Competition events worldwide.
The competition season culminates each Spring, with the highly-anticipated VEX Robotics World Championship event, uniting top qualifying teams from local, state and international VEX Robotics Competitions. Last year, the Silver Lake team named FIVE (Fantastic Innovative VEX Engineers), traveled to Anaheim, Calif., last year where they were one of 153 middle school teams. Other teams hailed from New Zealand, China, Mexico, Bahrain, Hong Kong, UK, and Singapore among others.
The Silver Lake team finished in 7th place after the preliminary matches out of 153 teams, before losing in the quarterfinals, but were the highest-scoring team from the U.S.
Silver Lake is hosting the tournament on Saturday at the high school. Qualifying matches begin at 9:30 a.m. and the awards ceremony will take place around 5 p.m. Teams from Menasha, Appleton, Neenah, Delafield, Fon du Lac, Oconto Falls and Menomonie will be joining Nature Hill Intermediate and Silver Lake Intermediate for a chance to compete at the World Championships.
Anyone interested in robotics is welcome to watch and cheer these middle school and high school teams on.
If you go
What: Oconomowoc Robotics Tournament hosted by Silver Lake Intermediate School
When: Qualifying matches begin at 9:30 a.m. and the awards ceremony will take place around 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 15
Where: Oconomowoc High School, 641 E. Forest St.
- Ice boat captain rescued from open water on Lac La Belle
- Rescue teams save ice boat pilot from open water in Lac La Belle in Oconomowoc
- Holiday season can bring injuries, stress—but it doesn't have to
- Programs offers non-medical home care for seniors living independently
- Oconomowoc alderman is not violating any state statutes, Van Hollen says
- Former downtown business owner ordained as Pastor
- Video: St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Oconomowoc to celebrate its 150th anniversary
- Yule Feed drive heads into final days
- Register next month for 4K-5K Kindergarten in Oconomowoc
- Board green lights architecture firm to help with facilities planning