All aboard for Bug Line book talk
The public is invited to hear Waukesha author Robert Duerwachter discuss his latest book, "It's train time, The Story of the Bug Line" at 7 p.m. Thursday, in the Quad/Graphics Room at the Pauline Haass Library.
For the last two years, Duerwachter has been collecting information to compile the coffee table book about the historic railroad line. His nearly 400-page book has more than 100 photos and illustrations about the railroad spur line that once went from Granville to North Lake as it traveled through Menomonee Falls to Lannon, Lisbon and Sussex and the went west to Merton and North Lake. It was built initially from Grandville in 1890 to where today the Sussex Mills Apartments are.
Duerwachter will have his Bug Line book available for purchase at the event and sign copies. A significant part of the book is about Sussex, Lisbon and Lannon as there were Bug Line depots in each one. They were on Lannon Road near Hemlock Lane in Lannon, in olde Templeton on the former Mammoth Spring Canning Company land, across Main Street from the M& M Restaurant and on Maple Avenue in old Sussex where today the apartments stand.
Duerwachter will also explain how the Bug Line name was determined and how it became a walking trail. This free program will last about an hour and no registration is required. This and other programs are presented by the Friends of the Pauline Haass Library to provide learning opportunities to the residents of the area.
- Pages from the Past: April 1, 2015
- Mediocre storyline, lackluster characters infiltrate 'Insurgent'
- Final home show celebrates season
- Six candidates battle for three seats in Sussex
- Two prominent residents from Sussex-Lisbon-Lannon area have passed
- Library board will spend more on Haass land lawsuit
- Retrospect, March 25, 2015: 10-year-old chronicles day of big fire
- Pages from the Past: March 25, 2015
- Hamilton's Synergy Show Choirs celebrates successful season with April 1 concert
- Chuck Hoffmann owned auto center on Main Street in Sussex