All aboard for Bug Line book talk
The public is invited to hear Waukesha author Robert Duerwachter discuss his latest book, "It's train time, The Story of the Bug Line" at 7 p.m. Thursday, in the Quad/Graphics Room at the Pauline Haass Library.
For the last two years, Duerwachter has been collecting information to compile the coffee table book about the historic railroad line. His nearly 400-page book has more than 100 photos and illustrations about the railroad spur line that once went from Granville to North Lake as it traveled through Menomonee Falls to Lannon, Lisbon and Sussex and the went west to Merton and North Lake. It was built initially from Grandville in 1890 to where today the Sussex Mills Apartments are.
Duerwachter will have his Bug Line book available for purchase at the event and sign copies. A significant part of the book is about Sussex, Lisbon and Lannon as there were Bug Line depots in each one. They were on Lannon Road near Hemlock Lane in Lannon, in olde Templeton on the former Mammoth Spring Canning Company land, across Main Street from the M& M Restaurant and on Maple Avenue in old Sussex where today the apartments stand.
Duerwachter will also explain how the Bug Line name was determined and how it became a walking trail. This free program will last about an hour and no registration is required. This and other programs are presented by the Friends of the Pauline Haass Library to provide learning opportunities to the residents of the area.
- Substitute teacher allegedly caught drinking Fireball whiskey at work (7)
- Reel World: 'Tomorrowland' sermonizes, fails to inspire
- St. James Catholic Church to host annual thrift and bake sale
- North Shore Bank hosting food collection event in Sussex
- Retrospect, May 27, 2015: Tempero grows up before leaving for WWII
- Pages from the Past: May 27, 2015
- Bald Facts: May 27, 2015
- Waukesha County urged to extend voting machine deadline for municipalities
- Springtime = farmers markets around lake country area
- Lisbon sued over Highway Q planning decision (1)