Bug Line still not open
Waukesha County officials are hoping the delays in reopening the middle section of the Bug Line Recreation Trail will be over by the end of this week.
David Burch of Waukesha County Parks and Land Use is hoping that new signs will be posted and work on the shoulders of the trail will be completed by the end of this week. The reopening of the trail has been postponed twice in the last three weeks.
Originally, county officials had anticipated opening the trail between the Village of Merton and Highway 164 by mid-October. However, delays in receiving materials postponed the expected reopening until the end of October. Bad weather and more details in receiving materials have postponed the reopening again.
Burch said new signs to be posted near where the trail intersects with roads were delayed in arriving and are in the process of being posted. The trail cannot be opened until the signs are posted because the signs warn trail users that they are approaching a road and other signs warn motorists that they are approaching an intersection of the trail and road.
In addition, painting warning strips where the trail and roads crossed, as well as some work on the shoulders of the trail, was delayed because of rainy weather, according to Burch.
Burch said workers have also had to repair minor damage done to the shoulder of the trails by individuals who have been using the trail even though it was closed for construction.
The center section of the 11-mile trail that extends from Menomonee Falls to North Lake has been closed since Aug. 12.
- Hamilton Fine Arts Center offers a frightful family, Elvis, Tigers and 'Candy'
- Retrospect, Jan. 28, 2015: Hadfield had big impact on early Lannon
- Pages from the Past: Jan. 28, 2015
- Change in purchase-order policy enabled ex-Lisbon administrator to hide purchases
- Business park proposed at Highway 164, Lisbon Road in Sussex
- Kindergarten registration begins this month
- Lisbon, Sussex seeking new police services director
- Retrospect, Jan. 21, 2015: Stier's camera captured Sussex scene
- Charges filed against former Town of Lisbon Administrator Elizabeth Kraus
- Pages from the Past: Jan. 21, 2015