Village of Sussex — Village officials are reviewing the detailed site plans for a 100 unit condominium project on Maple Avenue near the Community Center that was stalled by the Great Recession and recently started again by a new developer.
Developer Jim Forester intends to build 50 buildings each with two condominium units on the site located on the west side of Maple Avenue, north of Highway K, adjacent to the Community Center and north of the Villa of Brandon Oaks development.
Bielinski Brothers Builders Inc. had originally intended to develop the site until the company encountered financial difficulties during the onset of the Great Recession in 2008, and the land was taken over by Waukesha Bank, according to Village officials.
Forester intends to purchase the land from the bank pending village approval of the project. The project will also require an exchange of small parcels of land owned by the developer and the village.
Village Administrator Jeremy Smith said the village has approved a conditional use permit for the project and is now in the process of reviewing site plans including utilities and public improvements, landscaping, lighting and tree preservation plans.
Smith explained the conditional use permit was necessary because the proposal called for slightly more than three dwelling units per acre, a density that exceeds village standards without a conditional use permit.
The site had been previously zoned for condominium development, according to Smith.
The layout for the 50 buildings includes eight different styles of buildings, all of which have been approved by the village's Architectural Review Board.
Smith described the condos as midrange priced two bedroom units.
Smith said the developer will try to preserve as many trees as possible on the site which is in an undeveloped wooded area adjacent to the Community Center. Trees that are destroyed as part of the development will be replaced in accordance to tree mitigation plan that must be prepared by the developer and approved by the village.
- World War II, Korea vet Mathiak dies
- Pages from the Past: July 8, 2015
- Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society seeks Hamilton yearbooks
- Hamilton classes of 60s and 70s invited to reunion Aug. 8
- Sussex village board relaxes liquor code
- Village of Sussex saves some trees, destroys others
- Retrospect, July 1, 2015: Connections yield historical treasure trove
- Pages from the Past: July 1, 2015
- Menomonee Falls approves outdoor dining parameters
- The Community league hosts their first ever garden tour in Menomonee Falls