Fire in Falls destroys barn, semitrailer
Menomonee Falls - A fire that erupted Dec. 4, destroying a barn, is still under investigation after crews worked into the early morning the following day to extinguish the blaze.
The fire at W220 N9110 Town Line Road was reported at 3:38 p.m. About 17 communities responded to the fire that destroyed the main barn on the property, as well as a semitrailer parked next to it. A home also received minor damage.
One firefighter was sent to Community Memorial Hospital with minor injuries from back strain, Menomonee Falls Fire Department Chief Jeffrey Hevey said. No other injuries were reported and the injured firefighter was released from the hospital that night.
At the time the fire broke out, there were more than 25 horses in the barn and all were removed safely.
It took hours to put out the fire as water had to be trucked to the property in a dozen water tenders because there are no fire hydrants in the area. Water tenders hold between 2,000 and 3,500 gallons of water.
A private contractor was also brought to the scene with a large, excavating machine used to dismantle the barn so fire crews could fully extinguish the blaze, Hevey said.
The last unit from the Menomonee Falls Fire Department did not return back to its station until 1:09 a.m. Dec. 6.
"We were there a long time," Hevey said.
The home on the property received moderate damage. So far, structural damages are estimated more than $100,000; however, that number is expected to increase as the content loss is tallied, Hevey said.
- Reporter Danielle Switalski contributed to this story
- Fitting tribute for civic treasure: Sussex history museum to be named after Fred Keller
- Keller: Sussex has changed in past 70 years
- 3,700 Lisbon residents without power for about two hours Wednesday (1)
- Sussex Hamilton presenting 'Cinderella' this weekend
- MBA spring tour open through May 1
- Super writers named in our superhero writing contest
- Town of Lisbon to spend $7 million on road repairs over next two years (1)
- Sussex woman battles rare disease, needs help to cover medical expenses
- Reel World: Reel World: 'Elvis and Nixon' has a story without a purpose
- Retrospect, April 27, 2016: Graduations used to be held at Community Hall