Sussex food pantry sends SOS
Village of Sussex — The Sussex Outreach Service (SOS) Food Pantry has a shortage of certain food items because of a post-holiday lull in donations.
"There is always a lull in donations after the holiday season and before the Boy Scouts annual food drive in March," explained SOS executive director Jennifer Waltz.
At the same time, there is often a shortage in popular food items such as canned chicken or tuna, hearty and chunky style soups, rice sides, mangoes and pineapple.
There is also a shortage of ravioli, macaroni and cheese, Manwhich, Hamburger Helper, and canned corn.
"These foods are popular because they are filling and can be stretched into several meals. Our clients are very cost conscience and select food items that can help them stretch their food dollars," Waltz said.
Waltz said there were 489 families registered with the food pantry in 2013. That is 24 more families that were registered in 2012.
Waltz added that there has been a bit of decline in clients at the SOS during the first two months of this year compared to previous years.
She said the difference between this year and previous years is the harsh winter that has discouraged some clients from participating in SOS activities.
Donations may be dropped off at the food pantry at N63 W23626 Silver Spring Road which is northeast of the triangle intersection of Main Street and Silver Spring between 9 a.m. and noon.
Donations may also be dropped of at the Sussex Piggly Wiggly on Main Street, across from Village Hall, and the Pick 'n Save, east of the intersection of Highways 164 and Silver Spring Road.
- Retrospect, June 3, 2015: Letters home provide glimpse into WWII
- Pages from the Past: June 3, 2015
- Sussex Stuff the Bus event collects 200 items for needy students
- Dispute changes village hall plans (1)
- Haass library board wants meeting with Sussex village board
- Former Lisbon clerk Kraus gets jail time, probation for defrauding town (1)
- Lisbon squashes proposed dog park despite petitions
- Cemetery tells Lisbon-Sussex history
- Substitute teacher allegedly caught drinking Fireball whiskey at work (7)
- Reel World: 'Tomorrowland' sermonizes, fails to inspire (1)