28-year Lisbon Clerk, Sandi Gettelman, retiring
She served 28 years in clerk's office
Town of Lisbon - More than 32 years of Gettelman family service to the Town of Lisbon will end in late January when Deputy Town Clerk Sandi Gettelman retires.
She began working for the town in 1980 as a part-time election official; five years later, she became deputy clerk.
During her tenure, she has served as an interim town clerk and town treasurer and helped direct the administration of state, local and federal elections in the town as well as maintained the minutes and some of the records of the Plan Commission.
Gettelman continued working with the town and could have retired earlier this year but delayed it because of the large number of elections held in 2012.
"I could have retired in June, but I held off because I didn't want to leave at a time when there were going to be so many elections," she said.
There were seven elections in 2012. In addition to the regularly scheduled municipal and statewide partisan elections, there were gubernatorial recall primary and general elections as well as elections to fill state legislative seats.
She said she anticipates retiring in January after she has completed filing documents with state election officials regarding the November 2012 general election.
But this year might not have been as challenging as 1997 when Gettelman found herself in charge of both elections and taxes. Town Clerk Lauren Pomery and Treasurer Mary Luech both unexpectedly resigned that year.
She served in the positions until Rebecca Plotecher was appointed treasurer in February 1998 and Jeff Musche was appointed clerk a month later.
- Pages from the past: Dec. 3, 2014
- Retrospect, Dec. 3, 2014: Erdmann developed Centennial Oaks Subdivision
- Lisbon saves $85,000 in debt payments
- Haass Library dispute may go to 2016
- Sun kicks off Yule Feed Families drive
- SOS answers emergency call in Sussex
- Hamilton tax rate lower than expected
- Retrospect, Nov. 26, 2014: Help needed identifying World War II-era photos
- Pages from the Past: Nov. 26, 2014
- 'Big Hero 6' beautiful, fun, but ending lacks Disney magic