Golf event to benefit Leukemia society
Dave Miller sure loved to golf.
Because of that love, Dave's family created the So Long to Leukemia golf outing to honor Miller, who passed away in 2010 from Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
Entering its third year, the event has raised $25,000 to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) of Wisconsin.
The golf outing kicks off at noon, Friday, Sept. 12, and is $90 per golfer, which includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, range balls and dinner. If you only want to attend dinner, it is $20.
For more information on how to register and find out more about the event, visit www.golfoutingpro.com/event/solongtooleukemia.
In Dave Miller's case, the Leukemia spread quickly. He was diagnosed on a Friday and the following Monday, Miller passed away.
"He actually started chemo the Saturday before," said Paul Miller, who is Dave's son. "They said if you do the chemo you might have another year, if everything goes well. He only made it to Monday. It was just really quick."
Paul Miller said his father was a big-time golfer, which led to the creation of the golf tournament in Dave's memory.
There will also be a Bear Hug Giveaway.
Last year, the money that people gave to the giveaway went toward the purchase of books for children of patients in the Hematology-Oncology Unit at Froedtert Hospital.
Sponsorship is available at the individual or corporate level.
This includes an event sponsor, golf cart sponsor, ball washer sponsor, corporate sponsor, beverage cart sponsor, hole sponsor, putting contest sponsor, throw closest to the hole sponsor and program sponsor.
The outing will be held at Ironwood Golf Course, W270 N6166 Moraine Drive.
"We try and get it as enjoyable as possible for everyone to have a good time and come back next year," Paul Miller said.
- Yule Feed Families drive faces tall order in 25th year
- Lisbon may double debt for road repairs
- Reel World: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2'
- Investigation into Sussex Lions Club coming to an end (1)
- Sussex food pantry looking for Christmas donations
- Pages from the Past, Nov. 25, 2015
- Retrsospect, Nov. 25, 2015: Play gets bumped from Community Hall
- New contract to make recycling easier in Sussex
- Sussex Lions have activities suspended because of gender discrimination allegations (4)
- Pauline Haass Library Board member Glodoski dies at 65