Waukesha — A proposed plea agreement between former Butler Police Lt. Brian Pergande and Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel has been rejected by Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Donald J. Hassin Jr.
"I am not inclined to accept this plea," Hassin told Schimel and Pergande's attorney Michael Steinle
At one point in the court proceedings, Hassin said Pergande's explanation of why he took inappropriate photos of a woman he had arrested in 2009 "makes no sense."
Pergande told the judge he was prepared to enter a plea of "no contest" to one count of disorderly conduct as result of the incident involving the arrest of the woman, a stripper at a Milwaukee gentleman's club.
Schimel initially charged Pergande with official misconduct but was willing to reduce the charges since Pergande has resigned from the Butler Police Department.
The photos, which emphasized the breasts of the fully dressed woman, were found in the computer of retired Police Chief Micheal Cosgrove during an investigation of Cosgrove and the department by the Waukesha County Sheriff's office.
Pergande told the judge he photographed the woman at the Butler police station because he was going to refer her to another law enforcement agency. Pergande admitted the photos were not taken in accordance with department policy.
However, he said someone else had "enlarged" and cropped the photos.
Hassin set Oct. 28 as the date for a jury trail on the charge of official misconduct.
Schimel and Steinle left the court room without commenting on Hassin's decision.
- Retrospect, May 4, 2016: Sussex Community Hall enters its final days
- Pages from the Past: May 4, 2016
- Fitting tribute for civic treasure: Sussex history museum to be named after Fred Keller
- Keller: Sussex has changed in past 70 years
- 3,700 Lisbon residents without power for about two hours Wednesday (1)
- A Cinderella story
- MBA spring tour open through May 1
- Super writers named in our superhero writing contest
- Town of Lisbon to spend $7 million on road repairs over next two years (1)
- Sussex woman battles rare disease, needs help to cover medical expenses