Lisbon approves new sheriff's contract
Town of Lisbon - The Town Board has unanimously approved a new five-year police service contract with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department that has regional implications.
Approval of the contract means that Lt. Torin Misko, the commander of the sheriff's substation in Sussex, will have supervisory authority over police-service contract deputies assigned to the villages of Sussex and Merton as well as the town.
Lisbon and the villages of Sussex and Merton will share in the cost of the substation commander position, which is expected to be elevated from lieutenant to captain next summer.
Sussex officials asked that the position be elevated to captain to reduce turnover and provide the commander with greater authority.
Village officials were concerned that unless the position was upgraded to captain, Misko would be assigned to different duties if he was promoted next year.
In addition to being in charge of the day-to-day operations of the substation, Misko also serves as Sussex village police services director, supervising about a dozen deputies assigned to the village.
Misko replaced Lt. James Gumm, who was promoted to captain and reassigned as a watch commander in the Sheriff's Department headquarters in Waukesha. Gumm is now deputy inspector.
Lisbon will pay $14,000 for the additional supervisory services as part of annual payment for police services of $440,000, which includes deputies' salaries, benefits and equipment.
Under the previous contract,, the two deputies assigned to the town for two eight-hour shifts were supervised by a watch commander at the Sheriff's Department headquarters in Waukesha.
Town Supervisor Joe Osterman said the additional money is worth the improvement in services, which will include more direct supervision of deputies assigned to the town by a captain who is familiar with the Lisbon-Sussex communities and who will have greater command authority than a lieutenant.
- Reel World: Out of this world storytelling in 'The Martian'
- Sussex village budget proposes 5-percent levy increase
- Lake Country trick-or-treat times 2015
- Retrospect, Oct. 7, 2015: Lisbon Civil War flag makes it back home
- Pages from the Past: Oct. 7, 2015
- Local churches celebrate, react to Pope Francis' address to Congress
- Pay bonus suggested for Sussex firefighters
- Sussex, Pauline Haass Library dispute legal bills reach $170,000
- Reel World: 'The Intern': What's old is new again
- Is Wheaton Franciscan buying Sussex's pink house?