Lisbon man escapes barbecue fire
Town of Lisbon — A 73 year old town resident escaped serious injury on Friday, Aug. 8, when a propone tank apparently leaked and ignited as he was liting his barbecue grill at about 10:30 a.m.
The tank erupted in flames and began venting fire across the deck of the home of Carl and Kathleen Ganther of W 227 N 8090 Tamarack Road.
The force of the small explosion pushed Ganther away from the fire, according to Lisbon Fire Chief Doug Brahm.
Brahm said a neighbor came to the aid of Ganther and his wife and helped them escape the fire that quickly spread across the deck and into the garage and kitchen area of their home.
Seven area departments responded to the call including the town of Lisbon and the villages of Sussex, Menomonee Falls, Lannon, Richfield, Merton and Hartland.
The fire was contained to the deck, garage and kitchen areas of the home. Brahm estimated the damage to the building and contents at about $200,000.
- Reel World: Out of this world storytelling in 'The Martian'
- Sussex village budget proposes 5-percent levy increase
- Lake Country trick-or-treat times 2015
- Retrospect, Oct. 7, 2015: Lisbon Civil War flag makes it back home
- Pages from the Past: Oct. 7, 2015
- Local churches celebrate, react to Pope Francis' address to Congress
- Pay bonus suggested for Sussex firefighters
- Sussex, Pauline Haass Library dispute legal bills reach $170,000
- Reel World: 'The Intern': What's old is new again
- Is Wheaton Franciscan buying Sussex's pink house?