Lisbon man sentenced in Heim Manufacturing embezzlement case
A Lisbon man has been sentenced to 21 months in prison and three years' probation for wire fraud and one year on probation for filing a false federal tax return.
John F. Losee, W264 N6565 Hillview Drive, was the general manager at Heim Manufacturing Corp., Sussex, a subsidiary of Modern Forge Companies LLC of Blue Island, Ill. He was charged in federal court in May, and pleaded guilty to both charges in July.
He was accused of stealing more than $800,000 from Heim between April 2003 and May 2009. According to court documents, Losee created false documents, including purchase orders and other documents, to make it appear that Heim had ordered and received merchandise from a fictitious business. He then submitted false invoices, and Heim issued more than 220 checks to the fictitious business. Losee intercepted the checks and deposited them in a bank account he opened in the name of the fictitious business, according to court records.
During that six-year period, Losee emailed monthly financial reports to Modern Forge and financial records to make it appear the payments were legitimate, according to the plea agreement. The agreement also indicates that Losee did not include money he obtained under this scheme on his tax return.
In addition to the prison time and extended supervision, Losee was ordered to make $748,506.54 in restitution to Modern Forge.
Losee also faces a lawsuit brought by Heim seeking damages. He is scheduled for a status conference in that case on Jan. 17.
- Fitting tribute for civic treasure: Sussex history museum to be named after Fred Keller
- Keller: Sussex has changed in past 70 years
- 3,700 Lisbon residents without power for about two hours Wednesday (1)
- Sussex Hamilton presenting 'Cinderella' this weekend
- MBA spring tour open through May 1
- Super writers named in our superhero writing contest
- Town of Lisbon to spend $7 million on road repairs over next two years (1)
- Sussex woman battles rare disease, needs help to cover medical expenses
- Reel World: Reel World: 'Elvis and Nixon' has a story without a purpose
- Retrospect, April 27, 2016: Graduations used to be held at Community Hall